Is It The End of Days... For Building a Rocket?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

gktamps

Is It The End of Days... For Building a Rocket?

Post by gktamps »

Given the current confusion at Pacific Transformer over what TW Express/Liverpool transformers they are building, correct specifications of those and other types, no available part number for power and output transformers for Rockets, closure of Magnetic Components, and apparent focus by Heyboer only on Express PTs and OTs, I have to say I'm really glad I built so many Rocket variants when I did. I have one remaining set of Pacific transformers as spec'd by Allyn for a last Rocket build, but it seems to me the days of building Rockets are over for anyone who isn't ready to have them custom made, unless they can get PacTrans or Heyboer to build using the correct old line card(s).

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31358
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35007
WhopperPlate

Re: Is It The End of Days... For Building a Rocket?

Post by WhopperPlate »

I am actively talking to pactrans and they have been surprisingly willing to accommodate my “custom” details , including my inquiries concerning all of these debated numbers … at least discussing the express transformers…they says they would wind it with whatever numbers I needed … so it seems their might be hope if someone wanted to approach that endeavor .
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

I have been trying to order some iron through heyboer and others for awhile but they have all been back ordered, and it seemed like they got tired of responding to my inquiries and stoped replying ….so it’s refreshing that someone is willing to listen to what I want and do business …
Charlie
wpaulvogel

Post by wpaulvogel »

WhopperPlate wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:43 pm I have been trying to order some iron through heyboer and others for awhile but they have all been back ordered, and it seemed like they got tired of responding to my inquiries and stoped replying ….so it’s refreshing that someone is willing to listen to what I want and do business …
If you place the order with them, you’ll get the transformers. It’s going to take time but they will produce.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Does Heyboer have the correct specs for Rocket transformers? Does PacTrans?
martin manning

Rocket transformer specs

Post by martin manning »

Years ago I bought a set of Rocket transformers from Allyn (which I still have). Here's what I measure:

PT Pacific 2111

Primary
Black-Black – 120V Line in

Secondary
Red-Red - 5V Heater
Yellow-Yellow/Red-Yellow – 280V-0-280V
Yellow/Green-Yellow/Red-Yellow/Green – 250V-0-250V
Brown-White/Brown-Brown – 3.15V-0-3.15V Heater

OT Pacific 2117 (Like Dynaco A470):

Primary
Blue/White-Blue - Plates (4k3 a-a)
Green/White-Green - Screens (20% DL - not used in Rocket)
Red - CT

Secondary
Black - Ground
Brown - 4 Ohm
Orange - 8 Ohm
Yellow - 16 Ohm
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Thanks for posting this, Martin. If PacTrans hasn't retained the correct data for 2111 and 2117 these can be provided, and I would guess Heyboer would be able/willing to produce a set with these specs.
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

I've been able to keep a supply of Heyboer Rocket trannies around. Heyboer has always been much easier for me to work with than Pacific. The last couple Rocket builds used the same Pacific power transformer as the Liverpool and then added a separate 5V for the rectifier circuit. IIRC the output was a Magnetic Components Dynaco 470 with the UL leads clipped.

Edit - I'll post the specs for the Heyboer Rocket set. The output tranny is a slightly modified Dynaco A-470 OT. The Heyboer tranny set for the Rocket is based on the 7-Layer Dynaco style winding protocol... I didn't realize that Pacific ever wound a Dynaco style tranny (except a few custom winds that they did for me).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/