Unidentified clone

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RockyMtnRobert

Unidentified clone

Post by RockyMtnRobert »

Greetings and salutations!

This amp is a recent acquisition. It was for sale at a local music shop and I was initially intrigued because amps that appear to be of this type are typically offered for sale locally for much more than this one was priced. I played an ES 335 type guitar through it and it sounded pretty amazing to me but incredibly loud.

I was hoping that someone might be able to identify the kit that this amp was built from or maybe even give me a clue to the type of amp this thing is copying. After looking at lots of pictures I thought it might be a Rocket clone but I just don't know.

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gktamps

Re: Unidentified clone

Post by gktamps »

Looks like someone's take on a Rocket, but with different transformers, different transformer layout, no choke, paralleled V1 with second stage moved to unused 1/2 of V2, different caps, CC resistors instead of CF, blah blah blah. Different wire types inside suggest it's been either a parts box amp or has gone through various revisions.

Maybe consider repairing the hum band on the PT, and check the temp of the screen resistors on the output tube sockets - they should be 5W. Checking all voltages will give you a better idea of how this amp deviates from "standard".
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

What makes you think that an amp has to being built from a kit?

I like how it looks, by the way. Have fun with it!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

That reminds me of Passfan's builds....the chassis color
RockyMtnRobert

Post by RockyMtnRobert »

ChopSauce wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:19 am What makes you think that an amp has to being built from a kit?

Thats a good question. I just assumed that it was built from a kit because there was no brand on the cabinet. Here is a picture of it. My wife thinks the color is why it was being offered at a discount. She calls the color khaki with a hint of doo doo. The cabinet is well made and the handle is real leather and feels really nice.

I am currently running it through a 1x12 with a Red Coat Governor and I love the way it sounds. It's kind of mean and then when I turn the dial past the 9 o'clock position Satan appears and tells me to turn it down. I am working on getting an attenuator.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

RockyMtnRobert wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:19 pmMy wife thinks the color is why it was being offered at a discount. She calls the color khaki with a hint of doo doo...
I know that very well... :lol:
Vintagelove

Post by Vintagelove »

RockyMtnRobert wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:19 pm
ChopSauce wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:19 am What makes you think that an amp has to being built from a kit?

Thats a good question. I just assumed that it was built from a kit because there was no brand on the cabinet. Here is a picture of it. My wife thinks the color is why it was being offered at a discount. She calls the color khaki with a hint of doo doo. The cabinet is well made and the handle is real leather and feels really nice.

I am currently running it through a 1x12 with a Red Coat Governor and I love the way it sounds. It's kind of mean and then when I turn the dial past the 9 o'clock position Satan appears and tells me to turn it down. I am working on getting an attenuator.

If you hate the color, it's really easy to refinish using fabric/vinyl paint from the local auto store. Spray it just like spray paint. Duplicolor fabric and vinyl paint. This was gloss, they have flat too. It was green.

https://www.autozone.com/paint-and-body ... lsrc=aw.ds
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Almost certainly not built from a kit, or if a kit, it was a bare bones kit. Look at the ground buss. It is bare copper wire, probably removed from some 14 gauge Romex and stripped. This is the sort of thing I like to do in my builds. I suggest, if this was a kit, there would be some "proper" ground buss wire and/or a row of turrets incorporated into the board so it wouldn't hang off the edge. Also, it is built on perf board. A kit should have used a custom drilled board with turrets already staked. In any case, aside from the doo doo color, it looks like a very nice amp.