Solton Craafty 30 Trainwreck conversion.

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Motörbööt

Solton Craafty 30 Trainwreck conversion.

Post by Motörbööt »

Hallo,

Thinking about to convert a Solton Craafty 30 to a Wrecklike Amp. It is using PL84 Tubes for Output. Any Ideas?
Schem is attached.

PL84 = EL86 With different Heater.

Craafty30.pdf
$_59 (2).jpg
$_59 (1).jpg
IMG_20220220_092354.jpg
IMG_20220220_092323.jpg
Thanks in Advance from Berlin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lumox0013

Re: Solton Craafty 30 Trainwreck conversion.

Post by lumox0013 »

hello , that is a really cool amp , sadly that amp would not be good for a TW-style conversion the layout and circuit topology is too for from the originals I would sell it and buy the parts to build a TW if your desire for one is strong . cheers
Live , Love , Learn
Motörbööt

Post by Motörbööt »

Hi,

good point lumox0013. Maybe it is better trying to get the best out of it as it is. New Caps can't be wrong.

Greezt
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

In my view, having built many TW-style amps, the transformers play a major role in the sound (not surprising). As already suggested, you might just be happier building the amp you want, however, if you want to do something with this amp, here are my thoughts:

1) Make a new amp circuit with the existing major components. The chassis has a removable top. Make a new top with the layout you want for the circuit you will build/tube compliment.
2) Tweak/refine the existing amp. Measure all voltage nodes in the existing configuration (assuming it is working), then either obtain a schematic or make one based on component values and voltages. Adjust components to give you the tone/features you want to have.

Cheers, Greg