Liverpool output transformers

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

Liverpool output transformers

Post by Mark »

I was contacted by a member here wanting to build a Liverpool amp and of course the typical questions come up, Stancor style or Pacific, 5.1K or 6.6K primary impedance. I know there were recordings of the differences between Stancor and Pacific transformers. I thought there were recordings of a Liverpool using 5.1K primary and 6.6K primary.

I remember the 5.1K primary being louder.

Thanks for your assistance.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
wpaulvogel

Re: Liverpool output transformers

Post by wpaulvogel »

I was thinking he used a Dynaco A-470 output transformer but I’m probably wrong. It’s 4.3k. Maybe that was for a Rocket.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Yes, 4.3k was for a Rocket. Discussions here indicate 6.6k or in some cases 5.2k.
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

I recently replaced my Edcor 5.2K OT with a Hammond 6.6K OT on my Liverpool. I didn't notice a difference in loudness, the Hammond seems a bit brighter and Overdrive starts
later, but just as good.
I know this isn't exactly the trannies you gents are talking about.
From the talk here I also wanted to know what the differences were. To me not much difference, but maybe my ears are old and going deaf.
I do have a Pacific 6.6K OT, but that is in my Rockstar KT66 Reverb. I don't want to pull it to try though..
cheers guys
7pin

Post by 7pin »

Only transformer I’ve seen that comes close on steel is the heyboer. Anyone try one of those? I keep hearing the Mercury and pacific trannies sound to sterile and hifi for a TW circuit.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Lots of 'em built with Heyboers - they sound great. I've got several builds with Heyboers.

Don't agree that Pacifics sound sterile and HiFi at all, and I've used them for several builds as well. They are my favorite.

My least favorite are Edcor.
7pin

Post by 7pin »

How would you compare the sound between the heyboers and the Pacifics?
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

I'm speaking generally, to include all models.
PT voltages seem to vary a bit, but I haven't got all of my build sheets handy.
Regarding tone, my builds with Pacific OTs seem a bit smoother, perhaps a tiny less grainy, and not as loud.
You won't go wrong with either brand. The question being discussed in other threads is whether Pacific is actually producing transformers to the specs with which we are familiar.