Matchless Phoenix arrived - how close is it to the Rockster?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

VintageCharlie

Matchless Phoenix arrived - how close is it to the Rockster?

Post by VintageCharlie »

So i recently got a great deal on a Matchless Phoenix in Europe. I did not expect it, but the amp is very unique sounding - it sounds like the idealized rock tone in my head. It has a very smooth, but still detailed overdrive tone, nice compression, but still very well controlled on any pickup/guitar i throw at it. Sounds great on leads, rhythm and takes pedals beautifully. What stoked me the most is that smoothness. I don't understand where it comes from. It has only 3x 12ax7 tubes just as in a Top Boost style preamp and it has a dual EL34 output Stage that is supposed to be like that of the Chieftain. Is it somehow filtered in the output stage maybe?
It is such an addictive sound. None of my other 10+ vintage style amps sound like it.

So now i am wondering, if the Rockster has similar smooth and still touch sensitive qualities?
PaisleyTube

Re: Matchless Phoenix arrived - how close is it to the Rockster?

Post by PaisleyTube »

schematic?
Chris
Love, peace & loudness!
PaisleyTube

Post by PaisleyTube »

Chris
Love, peace & loudness!
VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie »

PaisleyTube wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:04 pmschematic?
It is supposedly a DC-30 preamp combined with a Chieftain Power-Amp (this has been posted on a few amp forums by posters with good reputation). I've never found a schematic of the Phoenix. Maybe i will open it up and confirm this at some point. But i do assume that is pretty much what it is - DC30 + Chieftain.
VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie »

Also i noticed the amp takes even a 16db boost in the front really well, when EQ'd right - it can sound as an amp with an overdrive in front of it, when boosted. It does not fall apart as most do with such a high boost. I assume that might be because the preamp does not hit the power tubes too hard and that gives the boost some nice headroom in the power amp, while gaining up the preamp.
PaisleyTube

Post by PaisleyTube »

VintageCharlie wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:19 am
PaisleyTube wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:04 pmschematic?
It is supposedly a DC-30 preamp combined with a Chieftain Power-Amp (this has been posted on a few amp forums by posters with good reputation). I've never found a schematic of the Phoenix. Maybe i will open it up and confirm this at some point. But i do assume that is pretty much what it is - DC30 + Chieftain.
Yep, I saw also some comments about small differences in the voicing. Most Matchless 2xEL34s amps run above 400 Volts and the DC30s around 350 Volts.
If it's your amp: open it and reverse engineer it.

The reverb-link shows the inside.
Chris
Love, peace & loudness!