Canadian Rocket build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ChopSauce

Re: Canadian Rocket build

Post by ChopSauce »

Pretty inspiring build ... 8)
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

pfarrell wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:41 pm How critical is the choke placement? One of your bolts is under the cap stack... Which in my case I've already glued down, nothings permanent of course...I have the choke in hand from Edcor just this am.
Someone more knowledgeable about this then myself will hopefully chime in.

I've seen a few builds on here where they positioned it where they found the least amount of hum. One was so far across the chassis they had to extend the wires. Most of the builds I've found on here are all in a similar position to what I've done. Mine is located where it is just because that's where the chassis dimensions in the files section show it positioned. One of the bolts is countersunk in the chassis so it sits flush under the cap stack. It's probably not a big deal if you have to shift it over a couple inches to avoid your cap stack.
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

ChopSauce wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:16 pm Pretty inspiring build ... 8)
Thanks!
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

aceofbones wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:47 pm Not getting much time for this at the moment, but picking away when I can.

Heater wiring in, preamp ground buss in. Stole the method from Colossal (thanks Dave).

IMG_8797.jpgIMG_8798.jpg
Very curious how you like the nylon buss wire stand off? I'm looking for a stand-up solution like yours, that looks really cool. My big question is how hot the end of the buss wire can get before you melt the nylon? You could sink it while soldering, of course. I know Keystone makes quite a few versions.
Just plug it in, man.
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

ViperDoc wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:25 pm Very curious how you like the nylon buss wire stand off? I'm looking for a stand-up solution like yours, that looks really cool. My big question is how hot the end of the buss wire can get before you melt the nylon? You could sink it while soldering, of course. I know Keystone makes quite a few versions.
Hey, ViperDoc. The nylon stand-off worked quite well. I had issues with the bussbar soldered to the pots in my Express build, so wanted to try and make an elevated bar that still retained a somewhat traditional Trainwreck look. Colossal did this in his Express 'Karen', although he still used standard standoffs and had another method to isolate the one end. I had a few nylon standoffs around so went with this. It was a touch long so I cut it to length. I looped the bussbar around the male end as I twisted the wire together and it was super easy.
IMG_8838.jpg
I was concerned about the heat when soldering, especially with the one connection being about 3/4" from that end. I don't know what the temp rating is on the nylon, but it seems to be just fine. It didn't deform or melt in anyway, that I can see.

Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Cool, I'll check that out. Keystone's nylon standoffs can withstand up to 400 degrees F, but in what form I'm not certain. I just like how clean that looks. Nice job.

I can't stand wiring buss bars to the back of potentiometers. It's incredibly messy, and the amount of heat required to heat up the pot body can destroy the pot.
Just plug it in, man.
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

ViperDoc wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:51 pm Cool, I'll check that out. Keystone's nylon standoffs can withstand up to 400 degrees F, but in what form I'm not certain. I just like how clean that looks. Nice job.

I can't stand wiring buss bars to the back of potentiometers. It's incredibly messy, and the amount of heat required to heat up the pot body can destroy the pot.
Thanks, It was a whole lot easier to deal with then soldering to the pots. I agree, it looks much cleaner as well.
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

Is there a downside to this method (pic)? It's very solid. I used some ground wire from a 12/2 spool for the house, and some lead cutoffs from the orange drops. I too don't like soldering to pot backs...always concerned I'm going to destroy them.

PF-TWRocket-09.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

I've done the same thing with many different amp builds, but after my first TW build I went away from the buss wire to local distributed grounds for each filter node, and the amps are extremely quiet. To ground the pots, I use pot grounding tabs that are like large star washers with a solder tab, and they work quite well. You can also use these to solder to your buss wire if you choose that approach. If you can't find them with the teeth, the smooth types are more widely available, just make sure you have your pots tightened down sufficiently.

Distributed Grounds by Node.jpg
41i2j3lozpL._AC_SX679_.jpg

However, if you want to stay traditional and solder to the pot cases, you can avoid damage by lightly sanding or scratching the solder point, then using liquid flux with your solder. That reduces heat application time and makes an extremely good joint. Obviously doesn't work with stainless pot bodies, like PEC, which is another reason I use the pot grounding tabs.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

I'm not sure who is selling those pot grounding collars, but be careful who you buy those from. I ordered a bunch of those from Triode, back when they were taking money and not delivering product. Needless to say, lesson learned.
bepone

Post by bepone »

https://www.newark.com/keystone/7312/te ... dp/62W5732
this one grounding lug is even better
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

Keystone's website. I have found all of their products to be of high quality. I transfer the PNs to Mouser or wherever.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Bepone: those are smaller ID for screws - you can see them in my top photo at the various grounding locations. I use a bunch of those, and yes, the teeth are much better than the smooth pot grounding collar in my photo, but I don't have a photo of the toothed version I have on hand.
Dave: I have a bunch of both smooth and toothed type that I've had for years - enough to do another 15 amps! Benefits of buying a bunch of parts from various estates.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

gktamps wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:46 pm Dave: I have a bunch of both smooth and toothed type that I've had for years - enough to do another 15 amps! Benefits of buying a bunch of parts from various estates.
Nice!
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

pfarrell wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:52 pm Is there a downside to this method (pic)? It's very solid. I used some ground wire from a 12/2 spool for the house, and some lead cutoffs from the orange drops. I too don't like soldering to pot backs...always concerned I'm going to destroy them.

PF-TWRocket-09.jpg
That looks good. If it's solid then there's probably nothing to worry about.