Canadian Rocket build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

aceofbones

Canadian Rocket build

Post by aceofbones »

Hey everyone,

Thought I would start a build thread for my Rocket project. I just recieved a box of parts from RJ. I will pair this with my Express. The build for that is here...

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 75#p421575

It will be a pretty traditional build. Heyboer Iron. Going to run it wet/dry, more like damp/damp, through my 2x12 I built with my Express. I'll need to rewire the cab though, to run either mono or stereo.

The chassis came 2/3 punched, so I finished drilling it out last night, other then a few holes for ground screws.

I'll update as I go.

Sorry, the picture isn't great. My phone camera has decided to focus when it feels like it, not when I need it to. I'll sort that out for future pictures.
IMG_8512.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gktamps

Re: Canadian Rocket build

Post by gktamps »

Nice! Should be a fun build. Still my favorite, and why I've built so many variants for myself.
Have fun!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Very nice. Will look forward to seeing this come together.
dblgun

Post by dblgun »

It looks like you're well on your way, congratulations. I'll be watching.
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

gktamps wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:51 pm Nice! Should be a fun build. Still my favorite, and why I've built so many variants for myself.
Have fun!
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to this one.
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

Colossal wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:17 pm Very nice. Will look forward to seeing this come together.
Thanks, Dave. Hopefully this one goes smoother then the Express.
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

dblgun wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:32 am It looks like you're well on your way, congratulations. I'll be watching.
Thanks, dblgun. Your current build is looking great as well. I really like the delrin spacers you made!
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

Not getting much time for this at the moment, but picking away when I can.

Heater wiring in, preamp ground buss in. Stole the method from Colossal (thanks Dave).
IMG_8797.jpg
IMG_8798.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Looking sharp! 👍
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

More more more! :D
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

I still need to solder nearly every connection and trim all component leads, but I found leaving everything loose was a lot easier to run all the leads because I could move them out of the way, if needed, to get a clean bend on a conflicting wire.
I've got everything wired up, minus the pilot lamp. Just need to sort out my faceplate so I can get the pilot installed.
IMG_8809.jpg
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

Looking great! Glad I asked.... you have been busy.
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

pfarrell wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:55 pm Looking great! Glad I asked.... you have been busy.
Thanks!

Had a good session last night. Everything soldered up. Need to get my faceplate sorted so I can hook up the pilot light and then she's good to go for smoke testing.
IMG_8826.jpg
IMG_8827.jpg
IMG_8828.jpg
IMG_8829.jpg
pfarrell inspired me with his Rocket build and the great faceplate he printed on wood, so I've been mocking up something similar. I took the photo a couple summers ago in Tofino (look it up, unreal scenery) I dont have the ability to print it directly onto wood, so I'm going to experiment using Mod Podge to do a photo transfer. Matches up thematically with the original Rocket's coastal faceplate, which I kind of like.
IMG_8836.jpg
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

NICE NICE NICE!!!!!!! :D
Fun to see another build while working on mine...
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

How critical is the choke placement? One of your bolts is under the cap stack... Which in my case I've already glued down, nothings permanent of course...I have the choke in hand from Edcor just this am.