Rocket / Build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pfarrell

Re: Rocket / Build

Post by pfarrell »

I was reading about the headphone trick (I've done something similar with hifi amps)...Is it as simple as plugging headphones into the output? (and moving the iron around).. I don't have a ton of wiggle room especially with the HT switch (quite effective that)... Tube rolling is a huge factor, haven't gone there yet...
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Yes, that's it. You can also measure AC on the OT secondary. This is something you would normally do before locating the mounting holes for the output transformer, with just the power transformer energized (nothing connected to any of the secondaries). In your case, you could pull all the tubes, and disconnect the OT CT so that any hum you hear or measure will be magnetic field-induced.
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

Thanks Martin... I'm not above making new holes...and I'm also pretty convinced it's quite quiet in reality—coax and lid made all the difference... My comment was really only in comparison to the Dumble—just still surprised how quiet that amp is...For now it's boxed up and we're playing it. All the shop lights are LEDs, everything gets quieter in the living space, kinda nuts that. Rocket is much preferable to us with the Creamback. Working on the aformentioned 2x12 Celestion cab...