Rocket / Build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

gktamps

Re: Rocket / Build

Post by gktamps »

I use F&T caps, with 80uF for the first cap. I also use a board, rather than gluing the caps to the chassis, though I did one build that traditional way. I also built one with can caps because I needed room for reverb and other stuff inside, but not my preferred approach, based on effects on tone and stiffness. Here are a couple examples.

TatarianRocketEdcor1.jpg
GT Rocket AM Aug2014.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

SUPER NICE! ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think I'll do the siliconed version first—I have the right stuff. I'll likely flip the 2 PT bolts though, that are nestling the one 40u.

Here's an update on trannies. I heard back from RJ. Super nice email with lots of good info. He recommended an Edcor PT, Rocket specific, that he engineered giving permission to buy it from Edcor—I emailed them about it and will report back. The 15H choke they have is also to Rocket spec—according to RJ. He said that any Dyna clone OT will give a good sound in the Rocket—I'm on the list with Heyboer—but RJ also said the MM Dyna clone is probably excellent if not $$. I did order that—cost vs. time seemed okay. I did that before I knew about the Pacific Dyna clone RJ also mentioned (he hasn't heard it)... I may get one, he asked for a sound report, if so. Then for sure I'd have to build another Rocket—and I haven't even heard one yet!

See pic of a pretty successful face plate. I printed onto maple veneer—some trial and error. Someplace I saw a vid (several actually) and the TW being demoed had a faceplate with a coastal scene complete with lighthouse... That's different—and I have lots of images I've shot... if anyone knows—was that something that KF made?

PF-TWRocket-05.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

The Rocket with the coastal scene is Amanda. It was built by Ken for Derek Ferwerda. It is legit. Somewhere in the depths of the forum is a post or two with the backstory, but I believe Ken had that painted for Derek before he gave the amp to him.

Your amp is looking good!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

What number did you get for that Rocket PT. I have a gently used one here that is probably the same number, less than 50 hours on it. If you have trouble getting one from Edcor let me know. I'd be willing to give it up for your project.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

Edcor? EM-0881 was RJ's PN.

120V Primary
504V Secondary @ 250mA
6.3V @ 4A heater tap
5V @3A Rectifier Tap
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

pfarrell wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:36 pm I did that before I knew about the Pacific Dyna clone RJ also mentioned (he hasn't heard it)... I may get one, he asked for a sound report, if so.
The Pacific Dynaclone was listed at 5k5 primary the first and last time I looked. Wrong.
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

Yes. Good point—why don't these suppliers have schematics when they have images half the time?
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

This is what I have... No dice.
IMG_20220704_132309693.jpg
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

That's actually one of the options where I was just going to roll with the higher voltages...but decided on the Heyboer I already had with the 260V taps. Still higher than what RJ is recommending....
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

PF-TWRocket-06.jpg
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Very nice!
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

Damn, that's awesome! I was toying with the idea of going that route, but wasn't too sure. That looks great, so I may have to mock something up.
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

aceofbones wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:49 am Damn, that's awesome! I was toying with the idea of going that route, but wasn't too sure. That looks great, so I may have to mock something up.
DO IT!
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

The 100k 3W bleeder resistors in the power supply? Wise? Truly optional?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

It's a good idea to have those to avoid accidental zaps. 3W is a bit overkill, though... Even 1W would be ok.