Rocket / Build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pfarrell

Re: Rocket / Build

Post by pfarrell »

Just need an OT.....

PF-TWRocket-10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

Nice! That looks fantastic.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Beauty!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

Quick shot of the cabinet/colorway... Still waiting on OT. I'm going to build the 2x12 cab this week... then schedule a time with my guitar teacher to give these amps a workout—and post some clips of Martin's Express and the Rocket in both threads..... I just don't have the skills yet—and he's got another speaker he wants to try...and is totally into it....(Oh, assuming the Rocket passes startup procedure and magic smoke stays in!!!)

PF-TWRocket-11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

That looks awesome!
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

Just got notice the OT is in the mail! Will I finish the Dumble first?
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

pfarrell wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:53 pm Just got notice the OT is in the mail! Will I finish the Dumble first?
Yes I will.

(When I hear from Heyboer I'll buy one of their OTs too...for another build :shock: )

PF-TWRocket-12-OT.jpg
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

OT secondaries... and ready for testing/fireup procedure... plus bench insanity—I have lost my mind :lol:

The MM OT seems to have non-standard footprint—glad I waited to drill holes—actually a bit tight...maybe there isn't a standard though...

PF-TWRocket-13.jpg
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

That is looking great!
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

An update... was inspired to fire her up... and... drama!!!
In short, no smoke, and 345VDC on B+1... but negative voltage on all the downstream caps??... That's a first for me. After verifying (again) all the connections in the cap stack... I figured either the standby switch is backwards (not)...OR... the choke is bad? I happened to order another 15H with the Mercury OT... So I took the Edcor out of circuit and it's reading OL.

EDIT—just put the Mercury in and she fired up—all normal—works! Can't play and test lest I wake the fam—but the Rocket lives! More later....
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

Little update.... In comparison to the Dumble I just built—this amp was kinda loud in terms of noise floor... I coaxed the input lines which made a massive difference... also note that having the lid on—I made a cover for this amp, really a bottom cover—not sure if that's the normal protocol—but I can say that having some faraday cage action is night and day with regard to quietness here. Getting some really nice feedback and gorgeous chime-y tones (mini humbuckers) out of this thing. Definitely different than the Express...different brush as it were...Sweet!

PF-TWRocket-15.jpg
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Nice... Welcome to the world of Rocket!!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
dblgun

Post by dblgun »

Looks good!
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Yes on the coax and for sure these need the bottom plate.
Hiss is usual, but not as much as with an Express or Liverpool. Hum should be very minimal. Headphone trick for transformer placement is always advised.
Tube rolling has a big effect.