Rocket / Build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

aceofbones

Re: Rocket / Build

Post by aceofbones »

What did you use to print your image onto the maple?
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

Epson P900. ...Took some time to sort out the front feeding path which will handle up to 1.3mm thick materials. The paper backed maple I have is ~0.6mm, but I mounted it to a feeder sheet since the minimum width on the front feed is 8".
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

Protection diodes on the rectifier? I've done it on some amps and not on others...

Also, interestingly I saw that Ceriatone's clone puts their PT dual voltage windings on a switch (260/290). The Heyboer has 260V and 300V.... downsides to putting the HT on a swtich? I would do this just to see/hear whatever there would be to hear—to learn.
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

Ahh, ok. Thanks. I'll have to see if I can do similar with my printer, otherwise I'm hand painting it.

You can totally do the switch for the voltage taps. That's exactly what the speed/comfort switch on the Zwreck is. Take a look at a schematic for it. It's essentially a Rocket with a few differences. Most can be made switchable. There's a few people on here that have documented the differences and mods.
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

Thanks! Hand painting would be killer.
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

Some more...This amp building thing should perhaps be illegal :shock: Way too much fun—even if it's all in a landfill one day.

Choke has shipped. OT is a couple of weeks, maybe three. I'm hesitant to drill the hole for the HT switch w/o OT in hand... but I have a 30W 6K6 OT here for some hifi monoblocks that's probably similar size I could use as a stand-in...so I might go for it. (I have it on good authority that I may have iron for the #183 build) before I have the OT for Rocket... Hmmmmm...)

PF-TWRocket-07.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

pfarrell wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:42 pm Way too much fun—even if it's all in a landfill one day.
We'll all be in a landfill one day. Enjoy it while you can. Looks great!
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

I've built 2 Rockets with dual HT and never liked the sound with the higher voltages. Try it for yourself, though you will probably just end up keeping it at one voltage, possibly the lower.
Your build is looking great!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

gktamps wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:33 pm I've built 2 Rockets with dual HT and never liked the sound with the higher voltages. Try it for yourself, though you will probably just end up keeping it at one voltage, possibly the lower.
Your build is looking great!
I built a ZWreck derivative with a dual voltage option and recall preferring the high voltage setting (which was how the original was built). The lower voltage lacked definition, as I recall, but it's been a long time.

The Rocket operates at very low voltages, as revealed by Allen Meyers and others quite a few years back. The low voltage on V1 plate is particularly important to get the harmonic content right.
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

Thanks! I love options—and also 2 different opinions.
The switch is in... Waiting on choke and OT. I had mis-wired my plates and filaments on the GZ34!

PF-TWRocket-08.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aceofbones

Post by aceofbones »

Nice! This is a great looking build.
dblgun

Post by dblgun »

Looking good!
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

Thanks!

Picked up a couple of 12" speakers to make a 2x12 cab...
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

pfarrell wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:59 pm Picked up a couple of 12" speakers to make a 2x12 cab...
Which ones?

Open, closed, or ported back 2x12?
pfarrell

Post by pfarrell »

G12-65. Was thinking open back—can always close it up.