Headcab Liverpool design

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

erwin_ve

Headcab Liverpool design

Post by erwin_ve »

In 2018 I built a Liverpool( https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30972 ) and never finished a housing.
My woodwork skills suck, and since I want dovetail joints I decided to make a drawing in a CAD program and have it CNC-ed.
Is this looking ok? What is a reasonably priced wood that looks good with oil or blanc laquer?
Before I pull the trigger...

Erwin
Trainwreck v9.jpg
Trainwreck Drawing v2.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnyreece

Re: Headcab Liverpool design

Post by johnnyreece »

I don't know what kind of lumber you have access to at a reasonable price, but I love a good curly maple.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Any reclaimed wood (almost) !

Yet it might require more work to rectify/dress/?!. it should be well dry at least.

There are so many furnitures left on the sidewalks here that I can't resist and build my cabs out of that.

Of course there should be many more desirable options, such as suggested above.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

johnnyreece wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:18 pm I don't know what kind of lumber you have access to at a reasonable price, but I love a good curly maple.
I like the looks of curly maple very much, hard to get at a reasonable price here in the Netherlands.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

ChopSauce wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:23 pm Any reclaimed wood (almost) !

Yet it might require more work to rectify/dress/?!. it should be well dry at least.

There are so many furnitures left on the sidewalks here that I can't resist and build my cabs out of that.

Of course there should be many more desirable options, such as suggested above.
Looking for mahogany resulted in insane pricing.
When looking at the Dutch fleabay, Marktplaats: there are several free pieces of mahogany furniture. The whole idea was to get less woodworking skills involved. It turns out, it's one or another.
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

My favorite wood is ash. It exhibits a strong grain like oak, without (to me) the annoying speckles in the wood. Also red oak, very nice. These woods are very hard, heavy, and take a good bit of grainfiller to result in a level surface. That finish may seem to be out of character with a Trainwreck cab, but worth the effort IMO. Adding color to the grainfiller can make the wood grain really stand out.

If you want something easier to work like pine without the sap, poplar is a softer hardwood with strong greenish/grey streaks. Can look cool depending on the piece. In the US, clear poplar is cheaper than clear pine, if you want to avoid knots.

Good luck with your search. That is a cool looking design.
dblgun

Post by dblgun »

I'm still a fan of classic cherry, and if you are after something with more figure or flame, curly cherry.
Last edited by dblgun on Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
didit

Post by didit »

erwin_ve wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:05 am
johnnyreece wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:18 pm I don't know what kind of lumber you have access to at a reasonable price, but I love a good curly maple.
I like the looks of curly maple very much, hard to get at a reasonable price here in the Netherlands.
European Chestnut?
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Nice! I can't wait to see the finished product. What kind of plates are you thinking?

I have thought of trying this on the CNC but don't know about the sharp corners of the tails and pins. I guess it could be done with a small radius... like 1/8" or so. Then again, I have a Porter cable dovetail jig that would work too.

Maybe look at Ikea for your wood source. Reasonable priced furniture parts large enough to cut out what you need.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

dorrisant wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:33 am Nice! I can't wait to see the finished product. What kind of plates are you thinking?

I have thought of trying this on the CNC but don't know about the sharp corners of the tails and pins. I guess it could be done with a small radius... like 1/8" or so. Then again, I have a Porter cable dovetail jig that would work too.

Maybe look at Ikea for your wood source. Reasonable priced furniture parts large enough to cut out what you need.
Hi Tony, I put this on hold. Recently I had a surgery with substantial recovery time.
One thing that came up: when the cnc has 3 axis: you need take the dovetail with dogbone corners.
A 4 axis cnc can do the trick as designed.

Erwin
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Thanks for that. Did some YT viewing and totally get it now. Keep me in mind if you ever want some of my plates. A collaboration would be cool. ;)
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

dorrisant wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:36 pm Thanks for that. Did some YT viewing and totally get it now. Keep me in mind if you ever want some of my plates. A collaboration would be cool. ;)
Thanks Tony. Ill sent you a PM.