Hammond AO-35 Blues Express build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

maxkracht

Hammond AO-35 Blues Express build

Post by maxkracht »

Not sure If I should post here or in the Hammond conversions sticky. I was asked to turn an AO-35 into something Trainwrecky and this is what I came up with. Tighter than I would like for anything remotely high gain, but no feedback or weirdness on the first powerup. It's my first attempt at a trainwreck style thing. Sounded good to me and It's new owner seems to dig it. Reading about the lore is kinda interesting, will have to try some others once I'm a bit more versed in the style. Faceplate drill locations and layout if anyone wants to do something similar.

express hammond face.jpg
hammond express guts.jpg
Hammong Express 35.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnyreece

Re: Hammond AO-35 Blues Express build

Post by johnnyreece »

Thanks for sharing! I was wondering: Does the cathode biased EL84 make it a little more Liverpool than Express?
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

This is the farthest I’ve gotten into Traninwreck stuff, outside of reading the TW pages a long time ago and modding someones Komet, so no Idea what it’s closest to. I thumbed through some Express schematics, thought it might work with a cathodyne PI to avoid adding a tube, then found a schematic for that exact thing called a “blues express”. Every “clone” I build is a pretty loose interpretation anyway. I don’t have the attention span for doing the same thing twice…
drew

Post by drew »

Enjoyed the build video. I’ll join the chorus of YouTube commenters hoping that you and the owner can get together on a demo video at some point.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Thanks. The owner of that amp has described himself as an enthusiast but not serious or a professional, which makes me believe he is very good but shy about being very good, so probably won't hear a demo on that one. I tried to be a recording engineer in a different life, so I've got the gear, just need to reassemble it and force myself to record a bit on future amps I put together. I still think gear demos are kinda silly. Can't really tell how good anything is without plugging in yourself, way too many variables...