Beginning my Liverpool build!

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Ledvedder5150

Re: Beginning my Liverpool build!

Post by Ledvedder5150 »

ChopSauce wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:18 am The input is supposed to be sensitive up to the edge of unstable on these amps, according to what I could read here. Therefore, the hum may well be a minor problem when the build will be finished, or you'll be forced to tame the input and risk loosing that "trick".

How about you keep mounting the amp but being prepared to move the OT latter on, so not much trouble so far?

Great project, by the way!
That's what I'm planning. I'm leaving the OT wires long enough to be able to move it, if necessary. Thanks!
Check out my band: https://www.facebook.com/ungluedband
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Work looks great! I worry that the waterfall of hiss in your amp is going to include the screaming sound represented by the cosmic microwave background though.

LOTS of gain over there. Reeeeee. (like twitter in an amp)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Experience is something one can't acquire but by himself... :?

Note that I never tried it myself but I'm confident enough that no grid stopper on the first triode is a fair challenge ;-)
MeanMrMustard

Post by MeanMrMustard »

Thinking about buying one of those Modulus shazeez for my ‘Pool. Currently have the amp built in one of the Watts Tube Audio boxes. I’m guessing the iron you’ve got has a field unlike that of the typical style Pacifics and it has made the typical layout unusable. Always lots of white noise in these amps gained out but I have very very low hum with the traditional layout. Thanks to Miles’ raving about the Chante amp and the Thorn demo I got back into mine and have identical results. The only Wreck I really love. Got a used Celestion Redback and have been enjoying it with that for a couple days.
guitarmike2107

Post by guitarmike2107 »

Looking good Ledvedder5150, Don't move the OT, it is totally fine there and does not affect the pre-amp valves and it does not pick up hum from the PT. It also leaves space for a choke to be fitted if you want to try that later on too.

Take your time and keep things tidy, especially around the pre amp valve sockets as that is the most important for keeping it stable.
Ledvedder5150

Post by Ledvedder5150 »

I've been reading some things about using a 68k instead of 150k. I'm doing this. But there's also references to a 2n2 cap and possibly removing it? Can anyone shed information on this one?
MeanMrMustard

Post by MeanMrMustard »

Ledvedder5150 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:41 pm I've been reading some things about using a 68k instead of 150k. I'm doing this. But there's also references to a 2n2 cap and possibly removing it? Can anyone shed information on this one?
I’d go with 68k/.0022uf. Mine’s a little different with tube rectifier, choke and 6SL7 for V2 but those values got me what I want out of it. Reference the Pete Thorn demo.
Ledvedder5150

Post by Ledvedder5150 »

MeanMrMustard wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:39 pm
Ledvedder5150 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:41 pm I've been reading some things about using a 68k instead of 150k. I'm doing this. But there's also references to a 2n2 cap and possibly removing it? Can anyone shed information on this one?
I’d go with 68k/.0022uf. Mine’s a little different with tube rectifier, choke and 6SL7 for V2 but those values got me what I want out of it. Reference the Pete Thorn demo.
Yeah, the Pete Thorn video is the tone I'd like to get. I don't think he mentions much detail about the circuit.

Also, tell me about the 6SL7. How does it differ from a 12ax7?
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Ledvedder5150 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:46 pm
Also, tell me about the 6SL7. How does it differ from a 12ax7?
https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/049/6/6SL7GT.pdf
https://www.jj-electronic.com/images/st ... 7/6sl7.pdf
Just plug it in, man.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

6SL7 has a bit less gain, more current. If the bases were the same, you could swap one for the other in the same circuit and the main difference would be a couple of dB less gain for the 6SL7.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Chante is no 2n2 and 68k.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Ledvedder5150

Post by Ledvedder5150 »

Reeltarded wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:10 pm Chante is no 2n2 and 68k.
You're talking about R7 and C8? So Chante goes straight from v1b to v2a without the 2n2? Just a 68k to ground?
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Ledvedder5150 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:01 am
Reeltarded wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:10 pm Chante is no 2n2 and 68k.
You're talking about R7 and C8? So Chante goes straight from v1b to v2a without the 2n2? Just a 68k to ground?
He means the paralleled, added 2n2. Chante is just 2n2 and 68k, not 2n2 || 2n2 and 68k. The added ceramic 2n2 was a later mod that KF did to Liverpools.

Glen Kuykendall posted this letter many years ago:

Liverpool Letter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MeanMrMustard

Post by MeanMrMustard »

The Dan Boul clip with Express Ingrid sounds badass with the added .0022 but I didn’t like it when I added it to some builds years ago. As a LP guy pretty much exclusively I tend to prefer things a bit leaner much of the time and in that spot it doesn’t take much more to start to be the detriment to articulation.
Ledvedder5150

Post by Ledvedder5150 »

Thanks for clarifying that! What about the 820r into v2? Anyone tried that?