Express and beano tone?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

riscado

Express and beano tone?

Post by riscado »

Ok is this doable?

Is there anyway to setup and express (speaker/equalization/tubes wise) that will enable a player to get close to a jtm45, beano tone...

please don't give me the get a jtm-45 speach, one has to work with what he has, so for now the wreck is the work tool.

Anyone?
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Re: Express and beano tone?

Post by LeftyStrat »

Off the top of my head, I'd add the fast/gradual switch like in a Komet, switch to KT66 tubes, and put a resistor before the first power supply cap to simulate tube rectification and get the sag.

There's also all the controversy as to whether or not Clapton used a Dallas Range Master. It certainly sounds to my ear that the leads are more "stingy" than the rhythm sound. Perhaps you could play with switching the value of the 150k resistor that forms the high pass filter before the 10k clipping stage.

But you just gave me a good reason to pull up that album for a listen, maybe I'll have more inspiration after another listen.
riscado

Post by riscado »

it's a great album, and I'm getting ready to play some of the songs, like little girl, with my band (which is in formation), however I won't be stopping my trainwreck build, because I already have some of the material. I plan on building a jtm45 later one with "park-ish" cosmetics, but for now the express will have to handle these sounds.

I've heard about the controversy regarding the rangemaster, I can't say that I hear it, I think the stingy parts are clapton handling the guitar tone/volume, but then again no one can say it isn't either, so it's up for grabs... thanks for the sugestions, I'll also try some lower gain tubes, maybe that will help!
Roe

Post by Roe »

try weber alnico silver bells - 30w
Roe

Post by Roe »

the OT wired to 6k6 will get you closer to an jtm45. but the BB combos used a 16ohm ot output into a 8ohm speaker load. so the combos ran at 3k3 (and some at 4k), while the heads ran at 6k6 (and 8k).
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Yep, what Lefty said. Plus try increasing the coupling cap size a little before the 150k resistor (or change the 150K resistor to more Marshall values). Can't go too big though on the coupling cap size with the V2a 25u cathode bypass cap you'll get a different kind of "bean" tone....

John
Matt72

Post by Matt72 »

As far as the rangemaster on Beano goes, there's a guy over on the Les Paul Forum who was an assistant in the studio for the Beano recording! He says definitively, no Rangemaster.

As far as converting the Express over, you might want to look at my mod thread called 'Finally got rid of the fizz'. I was going for more of a sound like you describe, but it takes quite a few mods to get there.

It seems to me that a stock Express is meant to be bright, crunchy, and a little nasty. Not so much midrange. Not exactly the opposite of the Beano sound (there's some overlap) but a pretty differnt thing. Fortunately, the basic format of the Express is such that those sounds can be modded into it.

Good luck!
BluzMike

Post by BluzMike »

Roe wrote:the OT wired to 6k6 will get you closer to an jtm45. but the BB combos used a 16ohm ot output into a 8ohm speaker load. so the combos ran at 3k3 (and some at 4k), while the heads ran at 6k6 (and 8k).
Where do you take that information from?

Real Bluesbreaker amps, i.e. non-fakes in a style II cab using Drakes and 20W greenbacks are rarer than hen's teeth. Clapton once said in an interview that his combo was a custom made amp. It would be very interesting to hear how many of those you have seen and checked the speakers of, as this is an area that still lacks proven information.

It seems like at least some of the very early Marshall 1962s in style I cabs used 2 x 8ohm G12 wired in series to a 16ohm speaker load. The RS Deluxe OTs with a primary impedance of 6K6 ohms used on these where connected on the 16ohms tap.

I would highly appreciate any deeper insights.
Roe

Post by Roe »

Last edited by Roe on Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Roe

Post by Roe »

deleted
Last edited by Roe on Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roe

Post by Roe »

BluzMike wrote:
Roe wrote:the OT wired to 6k6 will get you closer to an jtm45. but the BB combos used a 16ohm ot output into a 8ohm speaker load. so the combos ran at 3k3 (and some at 4k), while the heads ran at 6k6 (and 8k).
Where do you take that information from?

Real Bluesbreaker amps, i.e. non-fakes in a style II cab using Drakes and 20W greenbacks are rarer than hen's teeth. Clapton once said in an interview that his combo was a custom made amp. It would be very interesting to hear how many of those you have seen and checked the speakers of, as this is an area that still lacks proven information.

It seems like at least some of the very early Marshall 1962s in style I cabs used 2 x 8ohm G12 wired in series to a 16ohm speaker load. The RS Deluxe OTs with a primary impedance of 6K6 ohms used on these where connected on the 16ohms tap.

I would highly appreciate any deeper insights.
I've personally seen two here in norway. one belong to terje rypdal. another used to belong to a local player in møre and romsdal called trond s.

there are other real bluesbreaker combos than the style II cab using Drakes and 20W greenbacks. you also have alnico speakers, 25w g12Hs, type I cabs, radiospares OTs and 10" alnico and ceramic speakers. all these are bluesbreaker, jtm 45 combos.

the pics show EC playing a type II combo. we don't know which OT or speakers it had. it could even be a 1961 4x10" combo.

here's some info: http://forums.vintageamps.com/viewtopic ... c&start=45
Tim Hall

Radiospares Transformer

Post by Tim Hall »

According to Mercury Magnetics, it's their "Radiospares" clone that is used on the Beano album. Model#O45RS-L, 6k6 primary.
908ssp

Re: Radiospares Transformer

Post by 908ssp »

Tim Hall wrote:According to Mercury Magnetics, it's their "Radiospares" clone that is used on the Beano album. Model#O45RS-L, 6k6 primary.
If that is what they say they are either wrong or simply that is the closest thing they have. The original Series II that was used on the BB LP had the Drake 784-103 OT and a 1202-55 PT. It had KT66 in it and most likely Alnico G12 as they were used in the early series II and Clapton's was one of the first. and there are pictures of him in the studio with a amp in the background. I had Brian Wallace build me a replica out of my Marshall BB.

[IMG:920:381]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245 ... Inside.jpg[/img]
[IMG:800:740]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245 ... 109772.jpg[/img]
[IMG:600:544]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245 ... 010978.jpg[/img]
[IMG:600:353]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245 ... 010972.jpg[/img]
Alex
TheCageWreck and Glaswerks SOD100
v846

Post by v846 »

Sorry to go off topic but I must say Alex nice amp :D

David
Roe

Post by Roe »

here's greg germino's words about the 3k3 misload: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=146321