Late to the Trainwreck party, gonna build one anyway.

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Matthews Guitars

Re: Late to the Trainwreck party, gonna build one anyway.

Post by Matthews Guitars »

I've also heard the word associated with the black fiber board that Fender has used on millions of amps and which drum cases are also often made of.

I know G10 quite well. I just don't particularly want it for this build. I know that its mechanical and electrical characteristics are superior but that's OK.

I've already got what I'm going to use. No reason at all to switch to a different board type.
dblgun

Post by dblgun »

The .062 vector board without copper clad is still available if that is what you're after.
Mark

Post by Mark »

martin manning wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:27 pm
Matthews Guitars wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:19 am Garolite (fiber) also can absorb moisture and become conductive. Even if you impregnate it with paraffin. Lots of old Fender amps have this issue.
Garolite is a trade name for glass epoxy resin board material, also referred to as G-10, often seen with NEMA FR-4 fire retardant rating.
I don’t see how it could absorb water at all. They make surfboards out of epoxy. I’m not dismissing what you say Matthew, just it hasn’t been something that I’ve experienced.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Matthews Guitars

I was referring to the black fiber used by Fender to make boards, which is what I've always known as Garolite. That it's actually a name for G10 is new information to me.

No, G10 epoxy board is pretty much waterproof. However, it WILL absorb ethylene gylcol and become conductive, which is (was) an issue with certain types of CRT video projectors that used glycol based tube cooling systems. A coolant leak on the board would often cause a need for board replacement, or scrapping the unit.
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

Matthews Guitars wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:15 am I was referring to the black fiber used by Fender to make boards, which is what I've always known as Garolite. That it's actually a name for G10 is new information to me.

No, G10 epoxy board is pretty much waterproof. However, it WILL absorb ethylene gylcol and become conductive, which is (was) an issue with certain types of CRT video projectors that used glycol based tube cooling systems. A coolant leak on the board would often cause a need for board replacement, or scrapping the unit.
Sure, but when are we going to get our circuit boards wet in coolant?

I'd be more concerned about striping the iron clad off the boards. I don't know much about that but unless the board material is one of the 3 know Vectorboards Ken used I wouldn't see the point in going through the trouble.
Matthews Guitars

The stripping is done...copper not iron....and it was fairly easy. Yes, this is a type of vectorboard used by Ken Fischer, once the copper is off it.

Now I need to cut the board to shape and place the flea clips correctly. Then the actual build can start in earnest.

It's been shown that really old Fender amps often have problems with moisture absorption into their board. The tweed era Fenders are particularly susceptible.

I'd rather avoid that being even a possibility, ever.
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

Inserting the flea clips are a real pain if you don't have the vectorboard tool. My first board I made I used a flathead screwdriver, It worked but I damaged a quite a few clips and had to replace them.
dblgun

Post by dblgun »

RockinRocket wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:30 pm Inserting the flea clips are a real pain if you don't have the vectorboard tool. My first board I made I used a flathead screwdriver, It worked but I damaged a quite a few clips and had to replace them.
There is a definite method for getting the little buggers into the board. Once you get it sorted out I really like working with them. I run a .062 pin drill through each of the holes to be used and the start each of them by hand. I then use a scribe to pull them in from below.
frusciante89

Post by frusciante89 »

If anyone is interested in Trainwreck boards, I have a PCB made specifically for them :)

Free schematics and layouts: https://www.aaelectronicspcb.com/resources

Cheers from London,
Andrea
AA Electronics
Matthews Guitars

I'm going with old school Vectorbord perf board on this build. I want a fair degree of authenticity to the original build specs, although not 100 percent.

This as it stands will be an EL34 build but I'd like to explore the 6V6 option. I'm using the Mojotone transformer set. Can someone here who KNOWS, tell me if that's a reasonable option with those transformers, and if so, what changes will I need to make to (option A) use 6V6 output tubes, or (option b) be able to switch between EL34s and 6V6s?

I'm aware that the EL34 option makes a loud amp. Even with 6V6s it won't be quiet. But it'll be LESS loud and maybe that's what I will want. I know from experience that a cranked 6V6 Fender Deluxe is manageable.

I also know from experience that a cranked Fender 400PS (I own one) at 435 watts RMS into three Marshall 4x12s is anything BUT manageable, unless you're fully committed to it! Now THAT is LOUD.
dblgun

Post by dblgun »

Any progress on your build? I'm curious how your plans worked out.
Matthews Guitars

I got all the materials, I think. Had some issues with getting the right vectorbord. So I got the proper material and had a machine shop grid drill it to spec.

I could start building the new boards today. I actually hope to get started this afternoon. I've got a week to go before the Orlando Guitar Show and I'm HOPING to have the amp running and ready to demo by that time. Not going to rush it but there's a chance.

Orlando International Guitar Show, February 2, 3, and 4, SR 50 Orlando Fairgrounds, come check it out! Friday 2 is setup and dealer only day. Public welcome on Saturday and Sunday, 3rd and 4th.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Matthews Guitars wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:40 pm I got all the materials, I think. Had some issues with getting the right vectorbord. So I got the proper material and had a machine shop grid drill it to spec.

I could start building the new boards today. I actually hope to get started this afternoon.
Post some build photos, if you have the time! Always fun to see these amps come together.
dblgun

Post by dblgun »

Colossal wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:20 pm
Post some build photos, if you have the time! Always fun to see these amps come together.
I'm looking forward to build photos too.