Weird note decay - Express build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Re: Weird note decay - Express build

Post by Reeltarded »

The ground end.. to a pot that goes to ground. It just increases the cathode value on the stage, like if 1k5 then 26k5 total at full rotation with 25k pot.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Ledvedder5150

Post by Ledvedder5150 »

Reeltarded wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:35 pm The ground end.. to a pot that goes to ground. It just increases the cathode value on the stage, like if 1k5 then 26k5 total at full rotation with 25k pot.
Ahh ok, that makes sense. Would you do that on the 2nd stage?
Check out my band: https://www.facebook.com/ungluedband
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Try it on either or any, but it is a good place. You can moderate it and hammer the amp gain or volume for a huge array of textures.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Ledvedder5150

Post by Ledvedder5150 »

Reeltarded wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:16 pm Try it on either or any, but it is a good place. You can moderate it and hammer the amp gain or volume for a huge array of textures.
And you said you made it foot switchable?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Easily by putting a simple switch across the pot and closing it to bypass the cathode *extension* to ground.

If you have the big idea, you can have two levels of dump/boost or more by having internal trimmer for para across the 25k to dial in something like 19k/12k/GND and the higher the resistance the more bouncey but also relaxed the outcome.

It is easy to kill popping with a cap in the switch or internally in the amp.
Ledvedder5150

Post by Ledvedder5150 »

Well, I finished rebuilding it back to Express specs. I don't know, maybe I just don't jive with this circuit. There's something about the frequencies that I'm just not liking. I'm not sure if it's something in the midrange or the treble frequencies. Could be my cabinet, which is a Suhr 2x12 with a Greenback and a Vintage 30.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I don't mind riding a volume control, but only to keep a British amp from squealing during mutes.

We are not made for the siren whine of Express mid face. It's not the amp. The time of jet engine stage volume with a blanketed cabinet facing a wall is 1989. hehe

I am glad this is not the Dumble section. I would look like a hedgehog with so many arrows in my ass for saying.
bepone

Post by bepone »

vintage 30 is not ok speaker, it is very irritant, only good for loud heavy metal ..
Ledvedder5150

Post by Ledvedder5150 »

bepone wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:49 pm vintage 30 is not ok speaker, it is very irritant, only good for loud heavy metal ..
I like my Vintage 30 with my other amps.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I use one cab orginals but the reish is ear bleedingly pointed.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

If you've got a V30 that you like, more power be given. But If I ran my Express through a V30, it would sound and feel like a Spartan war spear right in my eyehole. It might be worth trying a darker option, like a Veteran 30 or a Fane F70.
Just plug it in, man.
Roe

Post by Roe »

with an express, the v-type and creamback 65w seems better than v30s, g12hs etc
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s