TW amp cabinet source???

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jem

TW amp cabinet source???

Post by jem »

I might have found a cheap alternative to a "real" custom head cabinet.
I ordered a "custom built drawer" with 1/2 blind dovetail joints that comes disassembled from woodcraft.com . Solid hardwood, 5/8" thick. It should at least be something to put my 1st TW build in to transport it. I'll let you know how it works out possibly take some pictures. Including shipping the cost is less than 60 dollars, so I figured why not give it a try?
sliberty

Re: TW amp cabinet source???

Post by sliberty »

Pictures?
tele_player

Post by tele_player »

That's a great idea, they have a store 20 miles from me, I think I'll be heading over there soon.

I can build cabs myself, except I'm living in an apartment, so no room for a table saw, etc. Getting the four sides and joints takes care of the big work - I could do the rest with hand tools.
jem

Post by jem »

sliberty wrote:Pictures?
Sorry.

How about a link that has pictures. I'll have to wait until it arrives to see if the advertisement matches the actual product.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?fa ... tid=140719
jem

Post by jem »

tele_player wrote:That's a great idea, they have a store 20 miles from me, I think I'll be heading over there soon.

I can build cabs myself, except I'm living in an apartment, so no room for a table saw, etc. Getting the four sides and joints takes care of the big work - I could do the rest with hand tools.
My thoughts exactly. The panels don't necessarily have to be so pretty either. The drawer bottom will be the rear panel, the front maybe a piece of metal screen, or even a different piece of hardwood for interesting look.

Rounding over the edges might still need a router though. They did round up the dimensions for pricing, just hope that the as built dimensions are what I actually put in, and not the rounded up dimensions (which won't be a show stopper either).
tele_player

Post by tele_player »

I've got a router, and I don't mind making a little noise.

Most important dimension, obviously, is the INSIDE dimension, unlike a normal drawer. Probably a good idea to call their technical guy about the wood thickness, and precision of their dimensions.

I did call, and checked if they'd do just the four sides, no groove for the bottom. He said, basically, "we're not set up for that". Too bad.
Roe

Post by Roe »

interesting. I'm looking for a kometos head cab. any other suggestions?
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

jem wrote: I ordered a "custom built drawer" ... from woodcraft.com
After reading Jem's idea on the drawer for a TW cab, I ordered one. They're made from plantation-grown cherry. I took the TW cab plans from the files and took off 1/8" from all the outside dimensions (5/8" stock instead of 3/4") yielding a 9-3/4H x 8-7/8W x 18-3/8/D drawer. Lay the drawer on its side, and voila, you have a TW cab with half-blind dovetail jointing :D You have to supply the front (the easy part).
Money: Merchandise Net: $47.60
Shipping Amount: 9.25
Total Amount: $56.85

The cab, er, I mean drawer arrived today. I dry-fitted it, and I need to shave a 128th off my 17-1/8" long faceplate to get a PERFECT fit for a 17x8x2 chassis. I'll radius the edges, but you wouldn't HAVE to. I'll bring the camera home for some pics to add.
Now, this won't be a furniture grade cab like Distortion's, but it is an economical cab alternative.
Thanks to Jem for this GREAT idea :!:
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
captain_rusty

Post by captain_rusty »

Dang! Wrong continent again! :(

But it's a GREAT idea... :)
BBQLS1

Post by BBQLS1 »

I'd like to see one so I can have an idea of what you are talking about.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

BBQLS1 wrote:I'd like to see one so I can have an idea of what you are talking about.
He said he'll post pics; in the meantime try the linky from above:

BBQLS1

Post by BBQLS1 »

gearhead wrote:
BBQLS1 wrote:I'd like to see one so I can have an idea of what you are talking about.
He said he'll post pics; in the meantime try the linky from above:

I realize this, I was making the comment, letting him know that I too was interested.
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

BBQLS1 wrote:I'd like to see one...
Pictures attached :!: I've got about 1/64 clearance on each side of the faceplate. It was ordered by the dimensions listed above. Remember, you have to supply your own front. This won't suit everybody, but gives us a good, low cost cab if that's what you want 8)
Thanks again, Jem :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim

BBQLS1

Post by BBQLS1 »

drhulsey wrote:
BBQLS1 wrote:I'd like to see one...
Pictures attached :!: I've got about 1/64 clearance on each side of the faceplate. It was ordered by the dimensions listed above. Remember, you have to supply your own front. This won't suit everybody, but gives us a good, low cost cab if that's what you want 8)
Thanks again, Jem :D
Very cool. Think some tolex would fit and eat up the clearance? I was thinking to tolex it and put on a stained wood front and maybe a back brace.
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

BBQLS1 wrote: Think some tolex would fit and eat up the clearance?
Actually, it's got just enough clearance to get the chassis in the cab. If you make your faceplate without the extra 1/8" length, you would have plenty of room for tolex or for weather stripping like Ken used. A 5/8-3/4" thick front will add a great deal of bracing, and you could add square battens in the upper corners. I will add a handle of some kind. I think it will be very functional for me. I haven't decided how to finish it. I may even consider a Durabak/Herculiner type covering to make it very rugged. No matter how careful you try to be with a cab, if you gig with it, you'll ding it :? When I'm too old to gig, maybe I will put it to rest in a Larry Mann cab :D Just looking at that last Kauri cab he made, increases my peace of mind 8)
Tim