Edcor Transformers for Trainwreck Express

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

DrRogersA

Edcor Transformers for Trainwreck Express

Post by DrRogersA »

Greetings, all. I believe this is my first post here. I am planning a Trainwreck Express build for next year. I have build five amplifiers so far, and am wanting to try something more ambitious.

I'm looking to use Edcor iron on this build. Can someone please confirm that these are the correct models?

Power Transformer: XPWR225 - 600V@300mA CT, 6.3V@5A & 5V@5A
https://edcorusa.com/collections/tube-p ... v-5a-5v-5a

Output Transformer: CXPP35-MS-5.2K/6.6K - 35W, 5.2K & 6.6K Ohms (No Grid Taps) push-pull tube output transformer
https://edcorusa.com/products/cxpp35-ms ... ransformer

And my understanding is that I would use the 6.6K taps for the Express' 6V6 or EL34s.

Am I correct here, or am I all wet?

Regards,

Austin Rogers, PhD, ARSM
Vince-

Re: Edcor Transformers for Trainwreck Express

Post by Vince- »

Hey there. I'm no expert , and , in other threads, there seems to be quite a bit of confusion about what Ken used. 6.6k pacific transformer is what I keep hearing but pacific says 7 5k.
The reason I'm chiming in here is that I wanted to mention that pacific now has an inexpensive line of the 'correct ' transformers for trainwreck amps. It's called the red series. Im assuming you are considering edcor due to the high cost of the usa built pacific iron? I ordered a red set for my first wreck build and they are on the way.
There's another thread started here on that topic. I don't think anyone here has used them yet for a build but I was happy with the price , so i went for them. I had planned on finding comparable Hammond iron until i found these.
Hope that helps.
Cheers!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

The primary impedance for an Express OT is 6k6, not 7k5.
Vince-

Post by Vince- »

So pacific has it wrong with thier current transformers .. I'm quite new to the topic.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Yes.
There is a wealth of information here you can search for before you start buying parts.
alnight

Post by alnight »

I have had really good experiences with Edcor iron and feel they offer excellent performance at a reasonable price. I am currently running them in my little D'lite build which is my everyday stage amp and am quite happy with them. I am in fact using that exact CXPP35 OT and have no complaints. Plus, it was spec'd out by RJ and I have great respect for his work.

Your PT looks like a solid choice as well. The voltage is correct and the minimum current requirement should be somewhere around 200ma, so I would feel confident using it.
jeffkt

Post by jeffkt »

6.6 K is correct
Measured from an original Express that sounded as it should