Hammond AO29 Trainwreck Express build.

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Vince-

Hammond AO29 Trainwreck Express build.

Post by Vince- »

Hey Guys this is my first thread on Amp Garage. I've been building for 1 year and this is build number 7. My first Wreck. I've just finished assembly and hopefully by this weekend I'll have a chance to go over it and do a startup. Going to run 6v6 and I've wired it for 6n2p .
I've got another express build ready to go with pacific red series iron and some higher end components but i thought I'd do this inexpensive build first. A buddy of mine was kind enough to give me this hammond chassis and I had most of the other parts lying around so I figured I'd build two and compare. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dblgun

Re: Hammond AO29 Trainwreck Express build.

Post by dblgun »

Interested to hear your impressions once you get it fired up.
Vince-

Post by Vince- »

dblgun wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:26 pm Interested to hear your impressions once you get it fired up.
I'll definitely let you know.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Cool project! I've done a handful of trainwreck inspired hammond builds, but haven't done one in an AO29 yet. Couple of things you might want to look at before/when you power it up: What vintage are your bias supply caps? You might consider replacing them if they are as old as they look, even if NOS. You should also double check the filament voltage. Might be higher than you would like with fewer preamp tubes and modern wall voltages.
Vince-

Post by Vince- »

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely check the filiment voltage. The bias caps are new but.im not sure if they are nos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vince-

Post by Vince- »

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely check the filiment voltage. The bias caps are new but.im not sure if they are nos. I guess the 041k0 may mean 2004?
bepone

Post by bepone »

Vince- wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:26 am Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely check the filiment voltage. The bias caps are new but.im not sure if they are nos.
philips/BC axials from 90ties-2000's
Vince-

Post by Vince- »

Thanks. I didn't realize their age. I guess I should find something newer.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Gotta watch out on electronics surplus sites, willful negligence seems to be part of the game. Some are easy to tell, some look about the same as new production. I have been burned before on old caps and bias supply isn't a place I would want to risk them. The oldest electrolytic I have received from a reputable supplier like Mouser or Digikey is 5-6 years old, according to the date codes, but they are usually very fresh.
Vince-

Post by Vince- »

Those came from an ebay seller , so I'm not shocked that they are that old..
I thought of maybe trying to form them but like you say it's better not to gamble with bias caps.
I'm in Canada and use next gen as a supplier. They don't have a huge selection though.
And I find it hard to find what I'm looking for on mouser and digikey a lot of the time.