That unused triode (liverpool)

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

That unused triode (liverpool)

Post by Reeltarded »

Change 3rd stage cathode to 27k, copy that stage to 4th, drop R7 to around 56k.

I don't have a mule. This should work pretty good. If your amp sounds overtly throaty, swap the cathodes on v1a and b.

The same thing can be mixed to make Express damage more likely to stun than kill. Ideally, R7 becomes a 50k pot with a 33k limiter.

Now.. you can drive your Ferrari anywhere and no trouble sleeping because: unused triode
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
cbass

Re: That unused triode (liverpool)

Post by cbass »

Will it make my vette go in ice. It's like a skatin rink here
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

No.

I was bored so I did bad things to good amps.

My amp has 56k leak on stage 3.

I added stage 33k cathode, 100k plate, .02 with a 56k leak aiming at little grip on the lows and shape the mids. Stage 4.

Nice!

I need to fiddle with the leaks and get the useful gain toward the middle of the bright cap action, but this is staying. Blows like a harmonica.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Liverpool not favorite amp. Liverpool now favorite amp.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

If you have a bored Liverpool hanging around, I can tell you what I found.

Added stage is 100k plate with .022u cap. 33k leak. Stage 3 is 47k leak. It's still quick to be very angry once the gain is near 30% rotation. I love triming the leak values. It is addictive and very educational.

The amp is the same but with more focus in the vocal range that causes it to fight for feedback. Anything in the middle 50% of the neck just freaking blows like a horn.

The texture brings forward a ittle bit of the middle of pick attack, and it slighty mutes the hash of the top off the pick. Finger noise is tamed a bit.

If you run your everything from the guitar, you should try this. It cleans up EVEN BETTER.

i can't answer why 33k cathode. It was arbitrary. I tried up and down from there. It is a great texture.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Speaking of Liverpool (have not built one yet), one of my favorite "amps" in the Line 6 Helix is the AC30 Fawn Normal, about which Line 6 writes,
Synopsis

The Vox AC-30 Fawn contains two channels. Both the bright channel and the normal channel only hit one preamp stage before going to the phase inverter in the power amp. All of the saturation of this amp comes from the power amp, and it can get pretty dirty. The bright channel is pretty bright when run clean, but that brightness when driving the power amp results in a wonderfully rich and harmonically complex overdrive. It's quite responsive to saturation with picking dynamics and volume knob control. Turning up the Bias knob reduces crossover distortion the best, but there are no wrong knob settings. If you like the sound coming out, the knobs are set right for you.

Notable Users

The Beatles first recordings in the Abbey Road studio used a fawn.
Is the Liverpool this type of amp?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I think that is a sort of a miss on non TB fawn amps. Marshall Crenshaw. That is a fawn.

I actually thought about you several times while doing this because of a thread where you said you do not like peakers on Marshalls and I said they don't work like Marshalls for me without peaking. The Liverpool is voiced in a way I imagined you would really like.