Nuke Deluxe vs Express

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Littlewyan

Nuke Deluxe vs Express

Post by Littlewyan »

I was recently messing with Trainwreck designs in LTspice and noticed something interesting. The frequency response of the Nuke Deluxe design on here is very similar to an Express ran with the volume at halfway and the 500pF bright switch on. Just thought that was interesting given that's how Glen runs his Express, I do the same and the Nuke Deluxe is setup to sound that way throughout the range of the volume control. I wonder why Ken didn't design the Express the same way.

I've often toyed with the idea of building another Express so it has the same tone throughout the volume control range. I find it gets quite boomy at high volume settings once the bright cap is no longer effective.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2tone

Re: Nuke Deluxe vs Express

Post by 2tone »

Glen plays mostly humbuckers on that setting. I think single coils are way too bright with the bright switch on the 500pf setting..
Reeltarded

Re: Nuke Deluxe vs Express

Post by Reeltarded »

When I really open the volume I moderate all tone controls very slightly. I am most often using G12/75's.

Early eq setups need more attention that late eq circuits when changing overall volume.

It might be interesting to build an Express with TS after stage 2, kill about 12dB after input stage and use R7 to make up the loss. The eq would have more stability across the range with volume changes..
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.