Starting an amp building project ('90 Kelly).

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RidingTheBlinds

1k 25 watt resistor

Post by RidingTheBlinds »

Hello

I used a 1k 10 watt mil spec resistor and it worked, but got pretty hot!
The 1k 25 watt cement resistor that is in the amp now runs much cooler.
From what I understand, this resistor is called a "fake choke"

:shock:
Humbucker

Really helpful, thank you!

Post by Humbucker »

I have to thank all of you for helping me out.
I'll shop for some 25-watters and stick to the schematic. That it just what I was planning to do, anyway. Just had to get leverage...

It's nice to see how many people appraise the Trainwreck sound. Me, I was floored instantly, and have tried and heard some serious amps.

I'll let you know how things work out. Just heard that aluminum chassis' will be delivered already drilled - from a friend of a friend, so it's quite cheap.
We'll use maple for the box and get buffered, laser-engraved front panels to highlight the simple design. And yes, I'll be using red chicken head knobs as soon as I get my hands on some.

On with the show.
Oldie newbie.
UR12

Re: Really helpful, thank you!

Post by UR12 »

Humbucker wrote: And yes, I'll be using red chicken head knobs as soon as I get my hands on some.

On with the show.
Humbucker

Those Red CH knobs are beautiful but if you are using the standard layout for the controls their may not be enough room between the controls to use the CHs without them interfering with each other. Just something to think about.....
Humbucker

Yes, thank you

Post by Humbucker »

Yes, I see the point. My friend raised the question when designing the chassis layout. He is going to use the unused 12AX7 tube half and tuck a spring reverb in.

Well, since it's a high gain amp with hiss and all...I'll wish him well.
Now we've got the wood - maple - for cabs, tubes, almost all of the components and ready-made chassis' shall be here on - wait - Tuesday, so it's three days.

Now I'm getting excited.
Oldie newbie.
UR12

Re: Yes, thank you

Post by UR12 »

Humbucker wrote:Yes, I see the point. My friend raised the question when designing the chassis layout. He is going to use the unused 12AX7 tube half and tuck a spring reverb in.

Well, since it's a high gain amp with hiss and all...I'll wish him well.
Now we've got the wood - maple - for cabs, tubes, almost all of the components and ready-made chassis' shall be here on - wait - Tuesday, so it's three days.

Now I'm getting excited.
Yea I know what ya mean. I got my transformers in today from Moose and I hope to have mine fired up this evening. Cant Wait.........

Dana
Allynmey
Site Admin

Re: Starting an amp building project ('90 Kelly).

Post by Allynmey »

Neither can we, Dana! woohoo!!!

Allynmey
Humbucker

Time to dig in

Post by Humbucker »

Almost all the parts are here. Preamp tubes arrived this morning.
Last evening, the only engineer in the bunch showed up with assembled turret boards, resistors, capacitors, trimmer pots and the works.

I thought we could be The Four Musketeers. It turned out there is one Flash Gordon and The Three Stooges ;-)

So, the three of us shall copy the layout (it differs from original due to different component sizes) and dig in.

Pics to follow.
Oldie newbie.