Exotic wood cabs

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Buschman

Re: Exotic wood cabs

Post by Buschman »

I have a friend in the vintage wood business. I had the idea of selling head kits with all of the mill work done but unassembled & unfinished. I found out that the cost of setup & the numbers I would have to sell made it not worth messing with for me. I still think it's a fun idea.
I've got blisters on my fingers!
BBQLS1

Post by BBQLS1 »

Buschman wrote:I have a friend in the vintage wood business. I had the idea of selling head kits with all of the mill work done but unassembled & unfinished. I found out that the cost of setup & the numbers I would have to sell made it not worth messing with for me. I still think it's a fun idea.
That could be a good alternative if it would make it cheaper for the DIY guy.
Tubetwang

Post by Tubetwang »

Yup i believe in it...

Trickle down effect caper. :roll:
Distortion

Post by Distortion »

I will be interested to see how your cabinets turn out.

What kind of wood projects have you done in the past?
Post some pictures of your completed projects.
One thing I can tell you is building exotic wood cabinets is not for the faint of heart.. I build cabinets because I love creating functional pieces of art.
It is a more a labor of love than a way to make a buck.
If you like spending countless hours covered in sawdust at least you will enjoy yourself.

But don't plan on getting rich... :?

Tubetwang wrote:I'm not in it to break the market...Vintone and Dart are doing a fine job... :oops:

But...i have access to 120 different wood flavors...

I'll give it a shot. :roll:

Guys are buying Boutique Guitars...Boutique Amps...Boutique Cars...Boutique Bike...Boutique Golf Clubs...Boutique Hair...

I'll sell them Boutique Cabs... :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Cocobollo...Wenge...Get your Snakewood Cab" :lol: 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm easy.
Tubetwang

Post by Tubetwang »

Hey don't get me wrong...:oops:

I'm allready rich... :roll:
GainMaster

Post by GainMaster »

http://chappellamps.com/cabs/golden_honey/gh1.jpg

Cliff Chappel builds nice wood cabs. Here is a pic of one. Charges $300. He's doing one for my Wreck build. Here is a pic of the board he is using.

http://www.chappellamps.com/cabs/gainmaster/gm3.jpg I'm having mine done in a brownish red. :D

Brian
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

Tubetwang wrote:... yet they have highly figured wood guitars...
The guitars that I use gigging were bought to be working guitars. Not that they aren't NICE guitars (PRS single cut, gold top and a Tom Anderson drop top Tele, gold top), but I didn't ask for exotic figured wood for the same reason I covered my Express with truck bed liner. Working guitars and amps get dinged (some call it character). It doesn't hurt my feelings nearly as bad to ding a gold top as an expensive figured top. It just needs to sound good and play well 8)
If I were going to keep my Express at home, I'd drop the dime in a New York minute for one of Distortion's mesmerizing figured wood cabs :!:
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
paulruby

Post by paulruby »

dartanion wrote:Really guys...I am only doing about a handful of builds per year at this point, but that will change soon. Remodel is getting close to being done, so I'll have more time. YEEHAW!
Seems you're right down the road from me so I'm interested...

I sometimes make my own but have trouble finding nice wood and really don' have all the best tools for doing a hard-wood cab. I can do it but is kind-of a loss-leader part of amp making for me.

Mike Gaines makes a lot of my cabs. Very reasonable price for a solid cab. Most of the hard-wood cabs on my website came from Mike. I just received a bubinga cab with flame maple front and rear panels that is really nice. I'll have pics up on that one as soon as the amp is mounted in it.

Occasionally, someone wants the best cab they can possibly get and Bob Burt is the guy I go to for that. This one is from Bob:

http://paulrubyamplification.com/liverpool_front.jpg
http://paulrubyamplification.com/liverpool_front2.jpg

Anyway, you can email me from my website...

- Pau
Tubetwang

Post by Tubetwang »

drhulsey wrote:
Tubetwang wrote:... yet they have highly figured wood guitars...
The guitars that I use gigging were bought to be working guitars. Not that they aren't NICE guitars (PRS single cut, gold top and a Tom Anderson drop top Tele, gold top), but I didn't ask for exotic figured wood for the same reason I covered my Express with truck bed liner. Working guitars and amps get dinged (some call it character). It doesn't hurt my feelings nearly as bad to ding a gold top as an expensive figured top. It just needs to sound good and play well 8)
If I were going to keep my Express at home, I'd drop the dime in a New York minute for one of Distortion's mesmerizing figured wood cabs :!:
My guitars are home buit.

Two strats, one tele.

150$ each + GFS + Spertzel lockers.

I cannot leave them alone...

On Trainwreck woodcabs...
What is the prefered joint?

Angled joint, finger joint?
doctord02

Post by doctord02 »

Paul, dont sell yourself short - when you are motivated and have good wood to work with, you make a fine head cab. My "elvira" is testament to that:

http://paulrubyamps.com/MapleWreckDetails.html

But I do understand about it being a loss leader, especially if your labor is better spent on the electronics of the build. Plus it's nice to have each aspect of the build be dealt with by a master craftsman of their art... Mike Gaines has built cabs for me as well, and I wouldnt hesitate to have Bob Burt or Larry aka Distortion build me a head box.
paulruby

Post by paulruby »

doctord02 wrote:Paul, dont sell yourself short - when you are motivated and have good wood to work with, you make a fine head cab. My "elvira" is testament to that:

But I do understand about it being a loss leader, especially if your labor is better spent on the electronics of the build. Plus it's nice to have each aspect of the build be dealt with by a master craftsman of their art... Mike Gaines has built cabs for me as well, and I wouldnt hesitate to have Bob Burt or Larry aka Distortion build me a head box.
Thanks Dave! An example of something I really can't do is the extra front bull-nose added to the front to get the 45-degree joint. Bob Burt does that very nicely. Mike Gains' build quality is about the same as my own but does it for a price I can't match. Bob's price is higher but makes a nicer cab than I can make. I'm always interested when someone (especially being as close as RWC) wants to build hard-wood cabs.

Of course, I still make the crazy cabs...

http://paulrubyamps.com/EvilAmp.html

:)
Rick

Post by Rick »

This one really hits home. I started out by building one kit. I thought I could get into the amp building biz and make a few bucks. The first thing I learned is that while most guitarists would love to have your handwired amp, the stereotype of the "starving musician" is pretty much right on. Most cannot afford a $1200, 1400, or $1800, (hell even $600 is too much for a whole lot of the market) handwired amp. Deep pockets have a well established, low risk market of builders already, so stealing their business is basically impossible.

Soooo, I started building my own chassis as that is one of or at least was at that time the most expensive component. I sold many of those, but I was working for minimum wage doing those and it soon lost viability. Then I started building cabinets, my own chassis and handwiring my own amps all to cut costs so I could still sell at a profit. You just end up working for nothing. I still couldn't get much market unless I sold my amps with cabs for about the price of a cheap kit, not good.

It ain't easy, I need to look for someone else to work for or work under. I can't get the recognition to get any pricing, so I'm going to scale way back and look for something else to try to make a buck. Any one need some help?? I can solder really well and can fabricate just about anything!! :lol:
Tubetwang

Post by Tubetwang »

[quote="Rick"]This one really hits home. I started out by building one kit. I thought I could get into the amp building biz and make a few bucks. The first thing I learned is that while most guitarists would love to have your handwired amp, the stereotype of the "starving musician" is pretty much right on. Most cannot afford a $1200, 1400, or $1800, (hell even $600 is too much for a whole lot of the market) handwired amp. Deep pockets have a well established, low risk market of builders already, so stealing their business is basically impossible.

Yup!

That's my take also.

A few years ago i did a run of 15 x 5E3 with one Private Jack in small 3/4" pine or 13 ply void free Baltic Birch cabs.
I like this amp a lot...i figured everyduder will want one at 800$.
In my neck of the woods, guitar players, record company, studios and clubs abound...

I sold them at 450$ each...took a while...wored me out...i simply could'nt stand the bullshit...

Boutique Tone opened it's door a few blocks from my place...www.boutiquetone.com

Like i said, i do not plan to brake the market...i'll let the consumer decide after i build huh......one or two... :roll:
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

paulruby wrote:
doctord02 wrote:Paul, dont sell yourself short - when you are motivated and have good wood to work with, you make a fine head cab. My "elvira" is testament to that:

Of course, I still make the crazy cabs...

http://paulrubyamps.com/EvilAmp.html

:)
Paul, that Spalted Maple 'wreck is fantastic.

And that Evil Amp KILLS ME! I could totally see me building something like that...I just don't have the skills to build the amp behind the crazy cab! LOL

Fantastic work!
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

Tubetwang wrote: My guitars are home built.
Yes, but then again, you're talented :D And you've got those LONG winters up there to get all your projects done :lol:
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!