Bias Options

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

MGW

Bias Options

Post by MGW »

I was looking at the pics of the Komet and how they have the bias test points. Is this a possibility with an Express build? What are the values of the (I assume they are resistors) between the hot leads and ground?

Thanks for helping a rookie.
It's all about the tone!
Funkalicousgroove

Re: Bias Options

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Simply connect a 1ohm 1% resistor between cathode and ground (Should be min 3 watts) and take your reading at pin 8 with your meter set to DC millivolts. you're looking for about 70% of max dissipation. If you're unfamilliar with Ohm's law you should brush up before attempting to bias.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
MGW

Post by MGW »

Thanks for the help. I am almost completely new to tube amps. I have done minor electonics repair for a long time. So before I attempt to build my wreck, I intend to learn all I can before even loading the circuit.

I also noticed the Clarostat pots on the front. There isn't a ground bus (I think that would be what you would call it) running across the back of the pots. I assume this is due to the pot casing being stainless, which won't accept solder. SO the question is, how are they grounded?

Thanks again
It's all about the tone!
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

the outer casing acts as a shield, and touches the chassis, it is totally separate from the internal mechanism.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works