Liverpool gut shot?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Tdale

Liverpool gut shot?

Post by Tdale »

Is there a photo of the inside of a Liverpool anywhere?

Tommy
UR12

Re: Liverpool gut shot?

Post by UR12 »

Here is 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kryfcn

Post by kryfcn »

Hi.Ive built half watt version. It sounds ok. By the way huge thanks for all of the information.
Whats the purpose of the diodes on the power tubes to ground? This Ive never seen on famous layouts and shemes.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

See ‘output spike protection’, late on in The Trainwreck Pages.
When I tried it, I put their 0V returns via a dpst switch, so I could easily and repeatedly check for any tonal artefacts / effects. Even with my poor ears, an instant A-B comparison showed that with them switched in, the overdriven tone was smoother, lost a bit of bite.
That wasn’t my preference so out they went.
kryfcn

Post by kryfcn »

Thanks a lot, im going to look closer on this subject.
amptone

Post by amptone »

Some guts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rooster

Post by rooster »

Is this a new TW built by the family? And what is that can opener cut at the rear of the chassis?
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Yes, that appears to be a JM wired amp. I believe what looks like a cut is a weld on chassis.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Interesting there's no bright switch on the new ones. I assumed a bright cap was hard wired, but I can't see one there.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Littlewyan wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:40 pm Interesting there's no bright switch on the new ones. I assumed a bright cap was hard wired, but I can't see one there.
There is a video by Matt O'Ree where he explains that Ken did not prefer the sound of the bright cap, but added them at his customer's behest. So it is my understanding that the JM reissues omit the bright cap.
wpaulvogel

Post by wpaulvogel »

The irregularities in the chassis at the top right of the picture appears to be the stamped name/identification writing.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Colossal wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:53 pm
Littlewyan wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:40 pm Interesting there's no bright switch on the new ones. I assumed a bright cap was hard wired, but I can't see one there.
There is a video by Matt O'Ree where he explains that Ken did not prefer the sound of the bright cap, but added them at his customer's behest. So it is my understanding that the JM reissues omit the bright cap.
Ah yeah I saw that. Did he not also say there was a mod that Ken was experimenting with?
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

wpaulvogel wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:29 pm The irregularities in the chassis at the top right of the picture appears to be the stamped name/identification writing.
Ah yes, good call Paul! I need glasses for close work too now :(

Wyan, I took the commentary to mean that Ken would put the bright cap in the amp if the customer requested it (and probably as new customers found out about it from existing customers), but his preference was that he liked the amp without the bright cap. I found that interesting.
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

I don't recall seeing a liverpool/express with out a bright switch on the front panel.

I may have read JM wasn't using bright switches to help keep the amps stable.