My Second Express Build - In progress

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Omar

Re: My Second Express Build - In progress

Post by Omar »

Allynmey wrote:Absolutely beautiful Omar 8) !!!!

Allynmey
Allen - Props go to you and Greg for getting the Francesca pics. Those have been the key to getting this thing build correctly! I can't say thank you enough!

Omar
Tone by misadventure
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Thanks Omar! Just giving back in whatever ways we can!

Your build looks great! Where did you get the wood face plate?

It was an absolute pleasure to play through the real thing.

I just ordered 4 Express chassis from Nik at Ceriatone.

I love my first clone...I think I wanna build a Komet 60 now!
Omar

Post by Omar »

HeeBGB wrote:Thanks Omar! Just giving back in whatever ways we can!

Your build looks great! Where did you get the wood face plate?

It was an absolute pleasure to play through the real thing.

I just ordered 4 Express chassis from Nik at Ceriatone.

I love my first clone...I think I wanna build a Komet 60 now!
Greg - The face plates were from Bob Burt (see my earlier post). Nik does a nice job on the chassis. I was glad I got it anodized since it scratched so easily.

When the next ampfest? We need to compare clones! :D

Omar
Tone by misadventure
mac0611

Post by mac0611 »

Hi Omar,

I noticed two resistors in series coming off of the second plate supply cap going to ground. What is their values and why are they there, if I may ask? Thanks!
Omar

Post by Omar »

mac0611 wrote:Hi Omar,

I noticed two resistors in series coming off of the second plate supply cap going to ground. What is their values and why are they there, if I may ask? Thanks!
Those are two 10K/3W. They are in parallel with the first power supply caps (two 40uF/400V caps) after the rectifier. This is the way Franscesca was configured. I could have gone with one 80uF cap but I was trying to be exact. Not sure why Ken did it this way.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

If it sounds anywhere near as good as it looks you are in for a treat my friend!!
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Omar wrote:

Those are two 10K/3W. They are in parallel with the first power supply caps (two 40uF/400V caps) after the rectifier. This is the way Franscesca was configured. I could have gone with one 80uF cap but I was trying to be exact. Not sure why Ken did it this way.

Omar
Omar

I hope my build comes out 1/2 as good as yours.....It looks beautiful and I'm sure it sounds incredible!!!

I thought the 2 3w bleeder resistors were 100K?
Omar

Post by Omar »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:If it sounds anywhere near as good as it looks you are in for a treat my friend!!
Funk - check out my impressions of the completed amp here: http://www.maximoaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=480

There is definately some magic going on with the harmonic feedback!

Omar
Tone by misadventure
Omar

Post by Omar »

UR12 wrote:
Omar wrote:

Omar
Omar

I hope my build comes out 1/2 as good as yours.....It looks beautiful and I'm sure it sounds incredible!!!

I thought the 2 3w bleeder resistors were 100K?
Doh! You're right it should be 100K not 10K. Guess I'll add it to the list of things that need to be fixed.

Omar
Last edited by Omar on Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tone by misadventure
mac0611

Post by mac0611 »

Hi Omar,

Ok, so 1 resistor is 100K and the other is 10K, both are 3 watt? I've never seen anything like this before, albeit, my experience is limited. You really do fantastic work. It should sound awesome! I contacted Nik at ceriatone, and he said he wants to get a complete kit together. I am getting a chassis, and I am starting a BOM. Do you have any imput you would care to supply on switch types/brands, pilot lamp assembly, pots, etc? It would help out alot. Thanks!

Try to get some sound clips up ASAP, I can't wait to hear them!
Omar

Post by Omar »

Ok, so 1 resistor is 100K and the other is 10K, both are 3 watt? I've never seen anything like this before, albeit, my experience is limited. You really do fantastic work. It should sound awesome! I contacted Nik at ceriatone, and he said he wants to get a complete kit together. I am getting a chassis, and I am starting a BOM. Do you have any imput you would care to supply on switch types/brands, pilot lamp assembly, pots, etc? It would help out alot. Thanks!

Try to get some sound clips up ASAP, I can't wait to hear them!
Reading resistor codes and typing are just not my thing! I meant to say they should both be 100K/3W. I thought about it last night and as UR12 mentioned they are bleeder resistors. I'm guessing that when you shut off the amp, this provides a path to ground to drain the caps? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure how I feel about Nik offering an Express kit. On one hand I think it's cool to offer homebrewers an easier way to build their own Express. But on the the other hand, there is the issue of profiting off of Ken's work.

Here is the list of vendors I used for parts:

Allied Electronics - Mallory electrolytics and Orange Drops
Mouser - resistors and knobs
Metro Amps - PEC pots, some caps, switches, pilot light
Hoffman Amps - IEC, impedance switch, input and speaker jacks, some caps, turrets
Ceriatone - chassis
Bob Burt - cab and faceplate
Turretboards.com - boards
Allen Amps - solid core wire

The sound clips will take some time. I need to tweak the amp some more with new tubes and some various parts, but with two kids, finding time will be a little difficult. I will get them done though.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
mac0611

Post by mac0611 »

thanks Omar, you're the best! I think he [Nik] should channel some cash to Ken Fischer, or at least only offer to do chassis on an "as needed" basis. The rest should be left to the builder. I relayed to him that I pretty much wanted to do it from scratch, I would have done the chassis myself, but I lack the necessary fabrication equipment and a shop to do it in. Besides, people may be disappointed with a kit, as the true magic is in Ken's hands. I think he knows this, and that is why he doesn't really raise a stink about it.

This is strictly for my own personal use, as well as a great learning experience.

Thanks for everything, when I start my build, I'll supply any pertinent information to share with everyone.
mobisimo

Post by mobisimo »

I'm actually looking around for a blank chassis and having a hard time finding one of the proper dimensions. The closest thing I found is a Hammond 16x8x2, which is an inch too short length-wise. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that carries a blank chassis that's the right size?
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Mike at Komboking can make you any size chassis you want and he only sells blank ones. Execelent quality.......

Check out this thread for pictures

http://maximoaudio.com/forum/viewtopic. ... c&start=30
mobisimo

Post by mobisimo »

Awesome! Thanks a lot. I think I might try to punch my own chassis for the next build. I figure if I acquire different skills in every build, it makes it a bit easier to rationalize spending >$500 for another amp :)