Heaters.

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

57goldtop

Heaters.

Post by 57goldtop »

Hi Folks,

My Express clone is almost done, only a few more things left to do but I am unsure about the heater browns, I have tried to search for a definate answer but couldn't find anything so I apologize if this question has already been answered.

Just wondering if the 2 browns from the PT should connect to pin2 and the other to pin7 on the EL34 socket closest to the power board ?

There are so many ways to do it because the heaters feed of these two wires, it seems like the most logical place to start feeding the others from. The Ceriatone kit layout doesn't show where these go, I suppose Nik didn't want to clutter the layout with info that is obvious to experienced builders. The Francesca pics seem to indicate that but I would like to make sure.

Cheers
novosibir

Re: Heaters.

Post by novosibir »

Yes, to pin 2 & 7 on the power tubes and to pin 4/5 & 9 on the preamp tubes.

Larry
Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery
57goldtop

Post by 57goldtop »

novosibir wrote:Yes, to pin 2 & 7 on the power tubes and to pin 4/5 & 9 on the preamp tubes.

Larry
Thanks for that, it's good to get the confirmation. The last thing I want to do is cut my browns too short and then have to patch them up because of a mistake.
57goldtop

Some pics

Post by 57goldtop »

Damn, just broke one of the pins on the EL34 socket so I'm waiting for a replacement until I can continue working on the amp :(

Here are some pictures. This is my first amp build, if there's anything you see that is wrong or if the lead dress can be improved then let me know, I'm using Fransesca as a reference. I had to cut the board with my band saw to get these large filter caps to fit.

I'm using Toneslut OT and 240v PT and I have a pair of matched JJ Tesla E34L Tubes and JJ ECC83 12AX7 gold tips on the way, since the TW is quite aggressive sounding I think I might try these, I don't have other tubes to swap but I have a tech friend who works for a lighting/sound company who may be able to help.

If I can get this amp to sound half as good as geetarpicker's I'll be stoked.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 57goldtop on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

You're gonna need a few more wires to the filter caps there, eh? LOL.

I might suggest going to Paul Ruby's startup procedure:

http://paulrubyamps.com/info.html#FirstPowerUp
57goldtop

Post by 57goldtop »

Thanks, I'll go through the guide once I'm finished.

Yeah still some wires are still missing, I decided to stop after breaking pin 4 on the tube socket.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Read it -before- you go any further. It includes taking measurements with some of the PT/TO primary/secondaries NOT connected. As it is, there are some you'll have to unsolder.
Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven »

57goldtop wrote:Thanks, I'll go through the guide once I'm finished.

Yeah still some wires are still missing, I decided to stop after breaking pin 4 on the tube socket.
No way!

Is that a Ceriatone parts kit? Because Pin 4 fell off on mine as well!
Jack of all Trades,
Master of None
57goldtop

Post by 57goldtop »

You have to be careful when installing those large 5w resistors , the pins can break off easily.

I found the same type of socket on eBay and ordered a pair, just search for "8 pin Micalex Tube socket" for the same type.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Some power tube sockets have heat treated pins and they can be brittle and only take so much bending. :wink:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
57goldtop

Post by 57goldtop »

Received my replacement sockets and found that you can simply just replace the pins instead of replacing the entire socket.

Get your spare socket, untwist the pin with a pair of plyers so that it will fall through the gap, install it in your broken socket then twist it so that it holds in like the rest of them. Saves a little time...
jjman

Post by jjman »

That's why I save pins. Ever since I pushed one out by mistake once.

Never know when you might need one.
If it says "Vintage" on it, -it isn't.