volume

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

fredy

volume

Post by fredy »

hello, its almost time for me to buy the bits for my express build, but before i do, i just remembered that i am not in a band and hence, do not need the volume.
So how do these amps sound through an attenuator at bedroom level?

thanks.
doctord02

Re: volume

Post by doctord02 »

You will be missing the joy of a Trainwreck if you attenuate it to bedroom volumes. If thats what you need, I'd look at the various posts about the Derailment or Mini-Wreck designs that use a single-ended low power output stage.

I have a wreck that uses a 6SN7 configured as a push-pull power tube and it puts out a screaming 3 watts that will melt your face off.

You would be suprised just how loud 3 watts is into a good speaker cabinet.
Doug H

Post by Doug H »

I don't think any amp attenuated to bedroom volume sounds good at all. If nothing else, you are just not pushing enough air through the speakers to make it interesting.

As doctord02 said, use a low wattage output section instead. I just rewired my 12au7-based Firefly into a "micro Rocket" of sorts. It sounds fantastic through a 1x12 with a Red Fang. I predict it's around 3/4W - just enough to get a little feedback going from the speaker yet very easy on the ears. It's not bedroom volume- but I don't play in the bedroom anyway.

The 12au7's are a little thin and lack a little headroom though. So I'm going to build another one with an ECC99 instead. Why not, build one build 'em all...
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Doug: ECC99 is a great choice for a self split PP amp. You'll like what you hear.
fredy

Post by fredy »

thanks guys, previously i had a marshll TSL100 through a 1960AV cab and that sounded fine at room levels (considering its not a particularly good sounding amp IMO) but that had a master volume and a pentode/triode switch.

I am not a fan of low wattage valve amps, i find that they just dont have the balls.

Perhaps i could incorperate a switchable master volume. I could aslo ground the grid of one of the power valves, or something. Not sure how this would effect the amp when in normal running mode though (ie, with out these mods).
jjman

Post by jjman »

fredy wrote:thanks guys, previously i had a marshll TSL100 through a 1960AV cab and that sounded fine at room levels (considering its not a particularly good sounding amp IMO) but that had a master volume and a pentode/triode switch.

I am not a fan of low wattage valve amps, i find that they just dont have the balls.

Perhaps i could incorperate a switchable master volume. I could aslo ground the grid of one of the power valves, or something. Not sure how this would effect the amp when in normal running mode though (ie, with out these mods).
Grounding one grid is probably not good since it's PP class AB. I'm going cathode bias and PPIMV for mine, when I get to it. If I don't like it or have problems I'll change it to the "correct" setup.
If it says "Vintage" on it, -it isn't.
moj067

Post by moj067 »

I think it's your amp, season to taste. I push mine w/ a Klon at lower volumes to give up some goods for that level.
Still better sound is had at more than most neighbors acceptable level.
Play around with it.
Doug H

Post by Doug H »

Doug: ECC99 is a great choice for a self split PP amp. You'll like what you hear.
Thanks, yeah this actually is not self-split. It's class ab push-pull. I used the first 12ax7 for the preamp, second for the LTP, and the 12au7 for power - 3 tubes. I cheated a little and used a MOSFET to buffer the tone stack. It sounds great though so who cares? :wink:
thanks guys, previously i had a marshll TSL100 through a 1960AV cab and that sounded fine at room levels (considering its not a particularly good sounding amp IMO) but that had a master volume and a pentode/triode switch.
Those more modern Marshalls are set up for preamp distortion so the master can be used to control loudness. The Trainwreck relies on output stage distortion for its sound though, so it's a different beast. Nothing wrong with any approach as long as you like the sound.