Transformer Questions

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Dr-Joned

Transformer Questions

Post by Dr-Joned »

I am a bit confused on the power trannys. I do see that Heyboer made a 600vct/520vct transformer that is used in the Express. Does anyone make the 468vct tranny that is shown in the Liverpool schematics? Please feel free to elaborate on the subject.
paulruby

Re: Transformer Questions

Post by paulruby »

Why not use the standard iron from toneslut. I have some extras, too.

- Paul
Dr-Joned

Post by Dr-Joned »

What is the standard ? I know toneslut has the 600vct/520vct transformer that goes into the Express. My question should be what transformer is used in the Liverpool? Are the schematics incorrect in showing voltages or are they showing loaded conditions?
nickt

Post by nickt »

Just looked at the liverpool schematics and you're dead right - they show 234V AC!

I'd always assumed the 260V on the toneslut tranies was the standard - same as an AC30 - learn something everyday :wink:

Of course you could put a 26V zener in series with the CT and use the Tone slut PT.
Dr-Joned

Post by Dr-Joned »

While i'm on the subject of transformers, can someone tell me what heyboer 11415 is. I received it in a recent buy of iron. I assume it is an output, but would like the specs and wiring diagram. Thanks
nickt

Post by nickt »

Dr-Joned wrote:While i'm on the subject of transformers, can someone tell me what heyboer 11415 is. I received it in a recent buy of iron. I assume it is an output, but would like the specs and wiring diagram. Thanks
Ask Heyboer - they're nice guys.
paulster

Post by paulster »

Dr-Joned wrote:While i'm on the subject of transformers, can someone tell me what heyboer 11415 is. I received it in a recent buy of iron. I assume it is an output, but would like the specs and wiring diagram. Thanks
It's an Express output transformer.

Secondary colours are:
Black: Common
Red: 4ohm
Yellow: 8ohm
Grey: 16ohm

Primary can be:
Brown and Blue with Red centre-tap
or
Brown and Blue 6600ohm, Brown/White and Blue/White 5200ohm with Red centre-tap
or
Green and Purple with Blue centre-tap
depending on which version you have.

Assuming black is the start of the winding on the secondary then brown or green is the start of the winding on the primary.

It's most likely to be a 6600ohm primary unless you have the dual-primary version. You can measure this yourself by calculating the turns ratio anyway.
Dr-Joned

Post by Dr-Joned »

Thanks! That is exactly what i was looking for on the output tranny. It's still a bit of mystery on the liverpool power tranny I guess.
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

I asked Moose about his trannys for the 'pool, and he said that it was actually better suited for it versus the Express....

He did not elaborate, but you could PM him to ask what he meant...

Ron
rhinson

Post by rhinson »

nickt wrote:Just looked at the liverpool schematics and you're dead right - they show 234V AC!

I'd always assumed the 260V on the toneslut tranies was the standard - same as an AC30 - learn something everyday :wink:

Of course you could put a 26V zener in series with the CT and use the Tone slut PT.
a 234-0-234 hv sec would give far too low of a operating voltage. you'll get about 270v on the plates with that---too low. moose's trannie using the 260v taps will put you in the 300-310v range --this is where you want to be for a liverpool clone---by all accounts ken ran el84's in the 300v-310v range.

btw an ac30 style amp has a 280-0-280 hv sec. rh
nickt

Post by nickt »

rhinson wrote:
nickt wrote:Just looked at the liverpool schematics and you're dead right - they show 234V AC!

a 234-0-234 hv sec would give far too low of a operating voltage. you'll get about 270v on the plates with that---too low. moose's trannie using the 260v taps will put you in the 300-310v range --this is where you want to be for a liverpool clone---by all accounts ken ran el84's in the 300v-310v range.

I guess the question would be - why do we have schematics in the files section - some are editted/enhanced versions by forum gurus - that show 234VAC as the OT output voltage?

I stand corrected on the AC30 but the above question is valid and a source of confusion to all (secret knowledge? :wink: ).
Richie

Post by Richie »

I think that was a re-drawn schem from Mark Abbots info. if you look at the thread, there were a few changes made or corrections. I didn't see a listing on Marks drawing of the PT..just the voltage stages, which as rhinson posted, would have to be a higher PT rating..
here is Marks info.
http://ampgarage.com/forum/files/liverp ... matic1.pdf
rhinson

Post by rhinson »

nickt wrote:
rhinson wrote:

I guess the question would be - why do we have schematics in the files section - some are editted/enhanced versions by forum gurus - that show 234VAC as the OT output voltage?

I stand corrected on the AC30 but the above question is valid and a source of confusion to all (secret knowledge? :wink: ).
the schematics i know about under the "schematics and layouts" thread in the files section (for the rocket and liverpool) don't list the hv sec ac voltage ratings. these were drawn by mark abbott who has seen and taken actual dc voltages in trainwreck amps and listed these on the schematics---if you have that you don't need the hvsec directly--you can figure it based on the b+ at idle. most any of the "gurus" here will tell you what i've stated---ken ran el84's in the rockets around the 300 -310v on the plates and the pool at about 10-20v higher due to ss rect instead of a 5ar4. moose's 260-0-260 hv sec taps will put you right where you want to be in building these----his power tranny or the pacific (two rock ruby) power tranny (250-0-250 hv sec) are what the builder "gurus" here use when building clones for customers. i posted spec sheets/part numbers for the pacific trannies about 2 yrs ago. rh
nickt

Post by nickt »

rhinson wrote:the schematics i know about under the "schematics and layouts" thread in the files section (for the rocket and liverpool) don't list the hv sec ac voltage ratings. these were drawn by mark abbott who has seen and taken actual dc voltages in trainwreck amps and listed these on the schematics---if you have that you don't need the hvsec directly--you can figure it based on the b+ at idle. most any of the "gurus" here will tell you what i've stated---ken ran el84's in the rockets around the 300 -310v on the plates and the pool at about 10-20v higher due to ss rect instead of a 5ar4. moose's 260-0-260 hv sec taps will put you right where you want to be in building these----his power tranny or the pacific (two rock ruby) power tranny (250-0-250 hv sec) are what the builder "gurus" here use when building clones for customers. i posted spec sheets/part numbers for the pacific trannies about 2 yrs ago. rh

From the files section "schematics and layouts":

http://ampgarage.com/forum/files/liverpoolschem.pdf

and another from a "redrawn liverpool" thread

http://www.undustrialdesign.com/guitara ... erpool.jpg

Both show 234VAC.

Like I say above this is confusing - and that's all I'm sayin! :roll:
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

nickt wrote:
Because anyone can post to the files section.

In my limited universe, it doesn't seem possible to get a B+1 of 331VDC from a PT secondary of 234VAC tap-to-tap. Looks like an error.

I'm not an expert in any way, shape, or form, on any Expresses. but provided comments myself on some of these. Do like I did; post in the comments thread(s) or send a PM to the author(s).