Bias pots

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bentonar18

Bias pots

Post by bentonar18 »

I'm putting together a Mouser order, and I'm curious what you guys are using for the bias pot... any recommendations?

Has anyone every just used a regular 25 k Alpha pot and mounted it to the chassis so you can adjust bias from above the chassis? Would it be heavy enough; ie able to handle the wattage required?

John
tubedogsmith

Re: Bias pots

Post by tubedogsmith »

I use a PEC 2 watt locking pot and it works great.

doctord02

Post by doctord02 »

I used a Bourns multi turn. About $12 at my local electronics shop I believe.
bentonar18

Post by bentonar18 »

Guys, thanks. The Bourns you mentioned: what wattage is it rated for? Do I need to be concerned about wattage here; will 1/2 watt ratings be enough?

I went back and dug through my NOS supply of Allen Bradley pots my dad gave me (bless you, dad!). I think I have some AB's that are pretty close to the PEC style with the locking threads, but I don't know what they are rated for. They are "Type J" pots with a locking top: the part number on the back is JU-5031. It's roughly a 50k pot; would this work?

Man, I'm getting close to having all my parts together: got the trannies last week, got a Komboking chassis about a month ago, built up my board last week, and recieved my Mouser order last week. I think the last thing I need is the bias pot! I'll try not to get too excited...! thanks
doctord02

Post by doctord02 »

1/2 watt should be fine...