4-4-0 [2 NEW BUILDS WITH PICS; THE 2 WATT WRECK]

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

GainMaster

Re: 4-4-0 [2 NEW BUILDS WITH PICS; THE 2 WATT WRECK]

Post by GainMaster »

morcey2 wrote:
GainMaster wrote:
DocJames wrote:That is s very nice cab, whats the wood that he used to make it?
Cliff has a lumberyard down the road from him that stocks exotic wood. The whole cab is made from one piece of flame maple dyed redish brown. The piping on either side of the front pannel is undyed flame maple. The veneer I have to do the logo and the lettering under the knobs is also flame maple to match the cab and faceplate. Should look real nice if I don't screw it up :roll:

Brian
It's a good thing that knot on top is off-center. That way it won't be in the way when you drill the holes for the handle. (ducks and runs)

Cliff does some great work. One of the guys I built an amp for is getting a cab from him for it.

Matt
:lol: :lol: :lol: I wouldn't dream of drilling holes to put a handle on it. The knot hole was originally going to be on the bottom, but after it was dyed and polyed it looked so good we decided to put it on top.

Brian
GainMaster

Post by GainMaster »

Beerman wrote:I am also interested in how this project is progressing. I think it's a great idea and may well follow your cue - depending on results...

Keep us posted.

:)
The chassis is punched and loaded. I have started loading the turret board. Should have a working amp by next weekend. Would have been finished this weekend but I was also working on another project. After listening to Glen's CD, I bought a strat and souped it up. It does get blooming feedback with my October so it should be great for the mini Wreck.

Brian
Beerman

Post by Beerman »

Thanks... that cab looks fantastic. I'll keep watching as it proceeds.

Good work.

g

We Have A Working Amp

Post by GainMaster »

Spent part of the weekend camping but made sure I got home in time to finish the amp. It fired up on the first try. The first impressions were good but I can see it is going to take a bit of tweaking to get things right. Currently, it won't do the mean to clean thing unless the MV is on 1/4. The preamp voltages are way high. I have 370v at the third preamp stage. Once I get the preamp voltages to Express specs I'll try and scope it to see what is going on and make sure it is clipping properly. Cleans are real nice. Dirt sounds good even with the volume dimed. I'll post some pics later. If anyone has a link to some tuning tips they would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Brian
GainMaster

Post by GainMaster »

Just recalculated my power tube bias and realized I have it biased at about 1/4 of what it should be. No wonder she wasn't singing like she should. I'll take care of that tonight and order the resistors needed to get the B+ of the preamp stages to Express values. Should have something worth listing to in a few days.

Brian
GainMaster

Post by GainMaster »

:shock: :shock: :shock: I couldn't resist so I rebiased during lunch. GOOD LORD I've never heard anything like it before. Lead notes are so rich with harmonics and it has a bell like quality. Cleans up right where it is supposed to at 2 oclock on the volume. Plenty of sustain and pinch harmonics. It is right on the edge of going into blooming sustain. Once I get the preamp voltages in line and make a few tube changes maybe it will. All I can say is it is much much more than I expected from this amp. I can see now why you guys are so enamored with the Wreck.

Thanks
Brian
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

GainMaster wrote:If anyone has a link to some tuning tips they would be much appreciated.
GainMaster wrote:I couldn't resist so I rebiased during lunch. GOOD LORD I've never heard anything like it before...
I think you found the tuning tip you most needed, Brian. :lol:

Enjoy!
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

Zippy wrote:
GainMaster wrote:If anyone has a link to some tuning tips they would be much appreciated.
GainMaster wrote:I couldn't resist so I rebiased during lunch. GOOD LORD I've never heard anything like it before...

Enjoy!
Brian - you've got something good going on there... can we see layout-schematic-voltages- and the ever coveted sound clip? Good job! nice to see a hybrid idea that keeps the wreck part of the sound intact. - rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
GainMaster

Post by GainMaster »

RJ Guitars wrote:
Zippy wrote:

Enjoy!
Brian - you've got something good going on there... can we see layout-schematic-voltages- and the ever coveted sound clip? Good job! nice to see a hybrid idea that keeps the wreck part of the sound intact. - rj
I'll take some pics tonight while I'm rechecking voltages and such after the rebias. The finished schematic will eventually be posted over at the AX84 site with layout and the works, but for right now it is basically the 2 watt PP output section from the AX84 site mated to the Express preamp. Soundclips will come after a little more tweaking :wink:

Thanks
Brian
GainMaster

Post by GainMaster »

Here are the pics I promised. Once it is finished I'll have some clips made. The extra knob is for negative feedback. No stinking volume knob here.

Thanks
Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mss1

Wreckless clips

Post by mss1 »

Any chance you could eventually post a similar demo clip of the October Studio version as well as the Wreckless version, for comparison sakes? It would be really neat to hear the sonic difference of the PA.

I am debating on which to start first, as I figure I will probably end up doing both. (I just can't help it...)

MSS
GainMaster

Re: Wreckless clips

Post by GainMaster »

mss1 wrote:Any chance you could eventually post a similar demo clip of the October Studio version as well as the Wreckless version, for comparison sakes? It would be really neat to hear the sonic difference of the PA.

I am debating on which to start first, as I figure I will probably end up doing both. (I just can't help it...)

MSS
We'll see. I built both and am adding the Herzog line out mod. I'm going to build a 20 watt head and hook them both to it with channel switching. The 20 watt head won't have a preamp, just a signal recovery stage. That way you can get power tube distortion at any volume.

Brian
GainMaster

Post by GainMaster »

After the last round of resistor changes, I decided to rewire the tonestack. I kept all the stock Wreck values but just wired it like the Marshall TS. Worked like a charm. The tonestack works now. Getting a bit of blooming when holding lead notes. Have to wiggle your finger a bit though unless it is on max gain. Cleans up well like it should. My mini wreck is finished :D :D :D

I'll work on getting some clips made now.

Brian
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

GainMaster wrote:...No stinking volume knob here... Brian
I suppose with a name like "gainmaster" we should have known... great job! can't wait to hear it. If you've got a full or partial set of layout and build notes I'd like to follow suit. I really love these low watt amps but I don't think I've got one that has the bloom at the level your talking about. Good work!

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
GainMaster

Post by GainMaster »

RJ Guitars wrote:
GainMaster wrote:...No stinking volume knob here... Brian
I suppose with a name like "gainmaster" we should have known... great job! can't wait to hear it. If you've got a full or partial set of layout and build notes I'd like to follow suit. I really love these low watt amps but I don't think I've got one that has the bloom at the level your talking about. Good work!

rj
No build notes as everything worked out suprisingly well except for the tone stack. I used the schematic and layout Cliff drew up and the tone stack did nothing (Cliff said I must have screwed it up :oops: ). Minor rewiring to match the standard Marshal wiring and it worked like a charm. Cliff will be doing a final schematic and layout soon.

The amp has virtually no clean on the dial. The output section goes into distortion very early but stays in control and doesn't get farty or mushy even at the highest gain settings. From 1/2 to 3/4 on the volume it cleans up real nice with vintage wound pickups. Overwound and hot pickups would require tweaking of the 150k resistor between the second and third stage.

The blooming everyone is looking for seems to be coming from sympathetic ringing from other strings on the guitar. My experiments with high gain amps has indicated that lower guitar strings vibrate at the same frequency as lead notes. Given enough compression and gain, this is picked up and amplified at the same volume as the original note. Too much compression and gain and the vibration goes out of tune and just sounds like feedback or squeal. The amount of compression and gain needed seems to vary between guitars. Different woods, bridges, and pickups will all affect this. Ken was able to consistently find the right balance for his customers.

I have been playing through a Mass (yes I know it is only 2 watts) and that also affects the blooming. A certian amount of interaction between the guitar, pickups, and speaker is also needed to get really good blooming. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do any full volume testing yet. The point is that everyone will have different results. I am certanly happy with mine.

Now, on to experiments with running veneer through a laser printer.

Brian