another express kit on the way

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rhinson

another express kit on the way

Post by rhinson »

hello there, this won't affect us guys that like to source our own parts, but for those interested i read on the weber forum that ted has an express kit coming out soon, joining nik in the kit arena. i wonder if the fact that he already sells hardwood headshells prompted the move to sell the kits? anyway, just an fyi for those folks inclined to try a kit for an express type amp. rh
Richie

Re: another express kit on the way

Post by Richie »

i guess everyone will have one of these amps of some sort soon. kind of an explosion similar to how the 18 watters have gone.

Wonder what the thoughts are on this. Seems a few people already make wreck clones and sell them.

Richie
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Wonder what transformers and Caps Ted is using?
rhinson

Post by rhinson »

hello, about ted's iron, i doubt he'll have anything special wound--most of his many kits choose from just the standard fender and (now) marshall style stuff he sells. i'm betting he uses the 45w marshall output (3.4k/2,4,8,16 equal to 6.8k/4,8,16,32) and his tweed bassman power trannie--just a guess though. as far as board components, probably just the stuff he uses in his other kits--xicon-like brown poly's, cde/mallory 150 style axial polys, etc. rh
Bear

Post by Bear »

Looks like he isn't working from the Kelly schematic but the A0.

Bear
doctord02

Post by doctord02 »

what makes you say that? Ted's link to "specs" is the whole catalog of schems from Blue Guitar, which includes the A1a, which is pretty much the same as the Kelly...
Bear

Post by Bear »

I hadn't noticed that there were 14 pages of schem's, just the first page of the A0 schem which is not quite right.

Whoops.

Bear
toddyjoe

Post by toddyjoe »

I believe Ted Weber uses Asian-made iron but do not quote me as an authority on that information. I have a few of Weber's transformers and they are ususally adequate for the task. Many of them appear to be comparable to budget Hammond transformers (as Ted once described to me). I suspect Ted will use some type of Marshall/Bassman output transformer for the Express kit, but it would not surprise me if Ted went with a custom-order-but-mass-produced design. After all, many of his kits are heading in the customization direction, i.e., cabinet design, hardwood or covering choices, etc., and he would definitely be ordering these custom trannies by the proverbial boatload.