**New Clip**

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

snide

**New Clip**

Post by snide »

Here is a new clip that my buddy Kevin recently laid down. It is unique in the fact that our old hero Dave Funk makes a guest appearance on the second lead break. The first lead is Kevin playing a Fender Princeton wide open, the second lead is Dave Funk on a real wreck and the third lead break is Kevin playing his wreck clone that we built. The backing track is from the web. Kevin is playing a Strat with quarter pounders in it through a Avatar 2X12 cab. Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Allynmey
Site Admin

Re: **New Clip**

Post by Allynmey »

Sounds good. I really liked the TW Clone (3rd one).
Elcabong

Post by Elcabong »

Ditto. I prefer the TW clone, it sounds nice. It probably depends on the way it was recorded but the real one sounds as if it was in the other room!
hot_tube_tone

Post by hot_tube_tone »

I agree with the first two responses the third tone is the best. Why do people always add so much reverb when they record that it sounds like the are playing out of a deep cave. I think that an unaltered in your face tone is way better than the reverb drenched sound (unless it is Jim James' vocals on MMJ). Also that middle lead is in no way a blues lead. Just my cent and a half worth.
snide

Post by snide »

OK....I see some people are missing the joke here so I will explain a bit more about the clip before the bashing gets out of control. In the files section there is a clip of Dave Funk playing a real express. The quality of this clip is absolutely dreadful in a funny kind of way (nothing against Dave mind you)...we sampled some audio from this clip and changed the key and inserted it into our clip so, yes it does sound like it's in another room. As for the comment about too much reverb...we are using a background track freely available off the web, as such, we don't control how much reverb there is in this mix. And no, Dave Funk's playing style in the clip is not blues nor was it meant to be :roll: .
Buschman

Post by Buschman »

Man I'm gonna build a Princton now!
Elcabong

Post by Elcabong »

You got me! :D But is there anything we can trust in your message? Is it a Princeton in there? And a TW clone?
snide

Post by snide »

LOL :lol: Elcabong..I understand, but rest assured the Princeton and the TW clone are real and "live" in the clip. We thought it would be fun to be able to hear the differences in the context of the clip. Buschman, I copied that very Princeton for a clone of my own and let me tell you, it is one of my all time favorite amps! Kevin's TW clone does sound awesome to me but then again we spent alot of time tuning it. Thanks for the kind words on the clip.

Eric
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

Which Princeton circuit is that? Tweed (5F2) or later BF(AA1164)? It does sound really good.
snide

Post by snide »

Hey LeftyStrat,
It's a AA964 circuit with the split load PI. The only deviation I did was to add a mid tone control. I used iron from a 1960's mono block which had a couple nice GE black plate 6V6GT's in it. Thanks for the compliments!

Eric
krash

Post by krash »

I just basically converted a Princeton Reverb to a wreck-like preamp (split-load still in place). I'd be curious to hear how the bottom end sounds on that Princeton in the clip. That pretty much sounds like a dimed Princeton Reverb does up on the neck, but if you want any bottom end, forget it :) At that level, the bottom end of every Princeton I have played is flubby on that kind of level. (my PR, and several others, including my friend's bone-stock PR that lives at my studio).

My wreck-ized PR sounds a heck of a lot better than it did as a regular Princeton Reverb.
oldmacman

Post by oldmacman »

The Princeton sounds great - almost does the Carlton thing. Great playing too!

The Wreck clone sounded great too. Nice and open sounding for that kind of gain.