Hardwood Cabinets?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Funkalicousgroove

Hardwood Cabinets?

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

What kind of Joinery is used or the cabinets of real Wrecks?? I've been looking at picture after picture and all I can tell is the edges are cut at a 45 degree angle and glued together, there are no visible dovetails or rabbet dado type joints inside or out. Are there biscuits?

Do any of you make Hardwood cabs for a Ceriatone chassis that you'd be willing to sell?
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Allynmey
Site Admin

Re: Hardwood Cabinets?

Post by Allynmey »

Hi Funk, the joinery is just plain 45 degree cut and glued joints. The glued joints are stronger than the adjecent wood so no worries. I will be posting a pic of three cabinets I'm finishing tomorrow or Thursday. I will probably be doing a run of them in the near future and they fit Nik's chassis perfectly. There is exactly 1/16 in. on each side and I'm using faceplates cut from the same wood so the grain matches.

Allyn
KennedyBlvd

Post by KennedyBlvd »

Allynmey wrote:The glued joints are stronger than the adjecent wood so no worries.
Allyn
Drop one on a corner and then tell me the glue joint is stonger than the surrounding wood.
Funkalicousgroove

If you drop your amp you have much more to worry about than the cabinet!.

Allynmey,

Are you selling these? I need a couple in birdseye maple if so. What are you asking for them $$?
MGW

Post by MGW »

KennedyBlvd wrote:
Allynmey wrote:The glued joints are stronger than the adjecent wood so no worries.
Allyn
Drop one on a corner and then tell me the glue joint is stonger than the surrounding wood.
Trust me....the glued surfaces won't delaminate. The wood around the glue may splinter and separate, but the glued joint will be intact. I've been building cabinets and guitars long enough to attest to this. Now understand that I am not stupid enough to think that a dovetail or finger joint isn't stronger. One of the main reasons that it is stronger is due to the larger surface area for the glue. But if you take care of it, it will hold together.
It's all about the tone!
Funkalicousgroove

I get that, I've been building pine and ply cabs and amps for years, but I am having a hard time locating some nice Wide maple, anyone have a source for that?
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

KennedyBlvd wrote:
Allyn
Why would you drop your TW on it's corner? :shock:
This run was to check the layout. I wanted to make them exactly the way Ken did.

The next run will probably use bisquits on the joints.

Allynmey
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

funk, some pics are here:

http://maximoaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=526

Allynmey

I will be doing a run in the near future. The price will be very reasonable. Drop me a line if your interested so I can get a total number. send it to my email. allynmey at aol dot com

Omar don't bother moving this to classified, I won't be using this post for correspondance. I don't want to stop the discussion of this post. We need more discussion on build techniques! Thanks.
KennedyBlvd

Post by KennedyBlvd »

Allynmey wrote:
KennedyBlvd wrote:Drop one on a corner and then tell me the glue joint is stonger than the surrounding wood.
Why would you drop your TW on it's corner? :shock:

Allynmey
Back in the late '70s I used to have a Mk1 Boogie. It was my baby, when it went anywhere it rode in the passenger seat... and it wore a seat belt!

I finished up a gig one night, we loaded everything in the truck except, obviously, my guitar and my beloved Boogie. I stuck the Boogie on a table in the bar and hung out to B.S. with the rest of the band, as soon as I turned my back the damn bar table tipped over and my Boogie went "CLANG!" in its back on the concrete floor! SHOCK, HORROR!!!!

And surprisingly, no harm done! It worked just fine for a couple more years until it went away in one of my inevitable gear trades.
PeteRH

Post by PeteRH »

I used a box joint for my pine Liverpool clone cab.....wish I hadn't :( .
It is probably that strong it will survive a train wreck but it just doesn't look like a Trainwreck.