Meet the Komutt

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

speed monkey

Meet the Komutt

Post by speed monkey »

After a long and well worth it wait, this gem arrived...this is an inspired design with a couple of twists...the fast / gradual is footswitchable - it's silent and works just absolutley perfect. I can't understand why this wouldn't be a normal setup...this one has the VVR installed as well. My take on this is that it's great from dropping overall power and voltage but not necessarily volume. At the point that volume is really dropped things start to suffer. I don't think this type of amp thrives in that scenario anyway. This rig is an absolute firebreather and sounds amazing in both modes. Gradual mode hit with an OCD is killer. She's an equal opportunity lover of Les Pauls, Strats and Tele's. At lower volumes with the VVR at 12:00 it's safe to run with my Marshall 2061cx cab with a Blue and a Heritage Greenback. I don't dare turn up the power and volume with this cab as it would simply melt it...at full power through my Bogner OS 2x12 with stock Greenbacks it's killer too. I cant wait to run it through a 4x12 soon. Currently loaded with NOS Tesla E34L's and crappy preamp tubes - I'll upgrade the 12AX7's soon

Overall this has been a great experience and I'm truly thankfull to have it in my hands. World Class build quality and tone. I couldn't be happier

[IMG:800:520]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/s ... uttone.jpg[/img]
[IMG:800:431]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/s ... ttfour.jpg[/img]
[IMG:800:457]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/s ... utttwo.jpg[/img]
[IMG:800:600]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/s ... tthree.jpg[/img]

Thanks a bunch, man...just over the top :wink:

Steve E
Last edited by speed monkey on Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
invalidcd

Re: Meet the Komutt

Post by invalidcd »

:shock: holly shit man! that thing is beautiful. Job well done.
stoo

Post by stoo »

:shock: wow!
Stew
Tubetwang

Post by Tubetwang »

Good shoe!

I like it!!
Noel Grassy

Post by Noel Grassy »

Did you build this? Great looking cabinet. Did you make any cabs for sale?
Let's see those sultry amp pron shots!

I'm building one right now & I'd like to see how you did the standoffs under the power supply board as well as component choices.

Cheers,
NG.
All excellent things are as difficult as they are rare__B Spinoza
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Very Nice!!! 8)
castor

Post by castor »

I love these kind of wood chassis!!
very nice and a good choiche af amp!
speed monkey

Post by speed monkey »

Noel Grassy wrote:Did you build this? Great looking cabinet. Did you make any cabs for sale?
Let's see those sultry amp pron shots!

I'm building one right now & I'd like to see how you did the standoffs under the power supply board as well as component choices.

Cheers,
NG.
The only thing I can take credit for is plugging it in and playing it :wink:

Allyn built the amp...build quality is off the charts

My buddy Brad built the headshell http://www.mccustomcabinets.com/

I don't have any gut shots at the moment, but I will get some over the weekend. I jacked up the install as I didn't have enough room to get a right angle drill in the tight space to drill the mounting holes - the first set of holes was off just far enough that I had to drill oversize holes :cry: :lol: Nothing that oversize washers won't cure. That said - the guts are a work of art.

Also - calling this the "Komutt" is pretty tongue in cheek as this amp is anything but a dog. I've never named an amp or a guitar so that's about as close as it will get. Huge props to Allyn on this one, really can't say enough about the whole thing.
Last edited by speed monkey on Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Just beautiful!
Even if I concider myself a pretty skilfull woodworker, I getting more and more p****d over all that beautifil wood you guys have acces to.
Up here in the arctic, I'd have to pay as much for the
those wood pieces as for the rest of the amp!! :x

Since my skills are mostly in the wood and tech department, - and less at the guitar, - could you please explain the "fast - gradual " thing...??

< goes away... mumbling, swea...g, > :lol:
Paul86

Post by Paul86 »

Wonderful rig! How much dinero for that (parts + labour)? If you're not comfortable with posting that, could you pm me?
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Aurora wrote:Just beautiful!
Even if I concider myself a pretty skilfull woodworker, I getting more and more p****d over all that beautifil wood you guys have acces to.
Up here in the arctic, I'd have to pay as much for the
those wood pieces as for the rest of the amp!! :x

Since my skills are mostly in the wood and tech department, - and less at the guitar, - could you please explain the "fast - gradual " thing...??

< goes away... mumbling, swea...g, > :lol:
I assume you've got plenty of black spruce. Not good for much eh? I spent a big chunk of my life north of the circle in Alaska. There, you got about 150 miles north and there are no trees at all. A few willow in creek bottoms. Mostly lichen. Do you folks have Norway love rocks?
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Plenty of good pine and spruce around here ( well not exactly here were I live - on an island off the shore ) - all good for construction.
White birch is abundant - masur and flamed birch to some extent, but very little in larger dimensions.. all in all good for general woodworking, - very little for decorative woods, like fancy guitar cab's! :(
Then of course, there is Tolex ................
rooster

Post by rooster »

Stevie - OK, this looks awsome! Man, I cannot wait to hear it. I finished my 2nd EXP, BTW, so lets get together soon. What are those trannys, BTW? They do not look like Heyboar. Congrads, it looks like a million bucks, Steve.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

speed monkey wrote: After a long and well worth it wait, this gem arrived...
Wait :!: I can't say anything until my jaw comes up off the floor :shock:
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
speed monkey

Post by speed monkey »

rooster wrote:Stevie - OK, this looks awsome! Man, I cannot wait to hear it. I finished my 2nd EXP, BTW, so lets get together soon. What are those trannys, BTW? They do not look like Heyboar. Congrads, it looks like a million bucks, Steve.

Hey Rooster -

This sounds better than it looks :wink: I do believe these are in fact Heyboer trannies that Allyn had custom wound. He can confirm (or deny) this, but 75% of the wait on the amp was tranny delays...everything is basically done by hand with this, the chassis is amazing. We need to get together soon - I want to check out your projects too.

The headshell was built in Australia, it's flamed Jarrah and Aussie maple. Brad actually laminated the pin stripe in there. He does pretty good work. This one is a head turner for sure.

heh...my neighbors got a good dose of this late yesterday afternoon, the one accross the street commented that "you must have got a new amp..." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all the comments guys :wink:

Steve E