Swap 6L6 for 6V6

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jmmp

Swap 6L6 for 6V6

Post by jmmp »

Anyone try this? The 6V6 seems to draw more bias current, so mods there will be needed. The EH's are supposed to be able to handle pretty high plate voltages, and this seems to be a feasible way to lower amp wattage for earlier breakup. Curious if anyone has done this before I mod the bias circuit.
Allynmey
Site Admin

Re: Swap 6L6 for 6V6

Post by Allynmey »

earlier breakup???? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Allynmey
jmmp

Post by jmmp »

By earlier breakup, I mean being able to crank volume up to saturate output tubes earlier (without having to use hotplate, etc.). Saw some postings at other sites about doing this and "great" it sounded, but no methodology concerning the swap. 6L6=about 22 watts each, 6V6= about 15w max. 30watts vs 44 watts = earlier output saturation to achieve similar volume. My current amp bias circuit only lets me get to about 12ma
of plate current, need to get to about 28ma at 420vdc, hence the question.
Hoping for info as to whether anything other than the bias dropping resistors needs to be addressed.
MSS

EARLIER BREAKUP

Post by MSS »

I changed to 6V6s from EL34s and as suspected, the volume (and onset of saturation) change was not all that obvious. Remember that it takes 10x the power to double the apparent volume that your ears hear. The 6V6s are still quite LOUD with efficient speakers.

What you will more likely find is that each tube type will have quite a different sound and character in the amp. The 6L6s will tend to be cleaner and glassier sounding, than 6V6s which are a little more EL34 like. I found the 6V6s have a little less bottom end oomph/crunch that the EL34s, probably because of the less power available.

Even within each tube type, tubes from different manufacturers will sound somewhat different. The best is to set up your amp so you can have fun trying them all (without messing up your layout too much)!

It's a question of personal taste which will sound best to you, with your setup and speakers.
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

I don't know if my amp qualifies because I'm running a much lower B+ voltage. My PT is 300-0-300. Because of this the 6V6's are running closer to the design voltage than the 6L6's so I believe that's why the 6V6's sound so much better now.

With a higher B+ you might find a somewhat compressed bottom end as compared to 6L6's. I personally don't like that sound, or even the short bottle 6L6's which tend to compress earlier.

JMO.