A good chassis....

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dehughes

A good chassis....

Post by dehughes »

Hello all. First post....here goes...

I'm looking for a really nice chassis to start my first build and am having a tough time finding what I'm looking for. It seems that all people make nowadays are chassis for kits and clones, which is fine as I intend to make my own JTM45 someday, but doesn't help me out in the present. I'm looking to build an amp based somewhat on a DC30 Matchless. Two channels, 1 being an EF86 preamp a la AC30/4 or AC15, and 2 being the standard Top Boost preamp we all know and love. 4 EL84s to be cut down to 2 if needed.... You get the idea. Does anyone know where to find such a chassis?

Many thanks,

david
UR12

Re: A good chassis....

Post by UR12 »

Welcome to the site!

Mike at komboking can make you a blank chassis for just about anything and he has very reasonable prices.

http://www.komboking.worldbreak.com/
teleamp

Post by teleamp »

David, I build my own, I use Hammond steel enclosures for smaller ones and custom made stainless for the bigger amps. Sounds like you want to do a DC-15. I have built a few Matchless styled amps using very close to original parts layout. If your interested, email me at txtubeampman@aol.com.

Mike
www.texastubeamps.com
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
dehughes

Post by dehughes »

Okay, you guys rock. I have more leads now after one post here than I have found in over a week of e-mailing and scouring the internet. Thanks!

I'm not going to be building a 15w amp, but rather something that is more true to an old-school AC30 (leaning towards Mercury Magnetics trannies, etc...). I like the idea of having both an EF86 channel and a Top Boost one, as both seem to have their place and yet can share the same power section. The only reason I mention Matchless' DC30 chassis is that, well, is kinda what I'm ending up looking at when I start putting things together in my head. :) That sure wasn't my intention....but that type of chassis, or a longer, Marshally one, would be ideal, I think.

I'll be e-mailing and visiting those links....THANKS AGAIN!

david
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Keep in mind that Ted Weber offers an EL84 version of almost all of his chassis, he also offers plates that convert the big Octal socket holes to the smaller novial socket holes.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
dehughes

Post by dehughes »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:Keep in mind that Ted Weber offers an EL84 version of almost all of his chassis, he also offers plates that convert the big Octal socket holes to the smaller novial socket holes.
Yup, I checked with him, and the only thing that came up was his 6M50 (I believe...) chassis. It would probably work, but I'd really like to have both trannys be lay-down style, and that wouldn't fly on this chassis as it would probably be kinda cramped with what I'm intending to do. That is still an option, though. Thanks.

Also, Nik at Ceriatone has some KILLER DC30 repro chassis. Super cool....I'm very tempted, but am going to stick to my guns with my own creation. :)

(well see how long this determination lasts...)

david
Omar

Post by Omar »

David,
If you are looking to do your own creation, I would go with Nik at Ceriatone. I made some drawings in Corel Draw for my Trainwreck with all the cutouts and screw holes and it came out nearly perfect. I had to enlarge a couple of holes to make things fit but that probably was my mistake. I think I paid $90 with shipping for my custom aluminum chassis and it was at my door step in about 2 weeks. Highly recommend Ceriatone for custom chassis.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
dehughes

Post by dehughes »

Omar wrote:David,
If you are looking to do your own creation, I would go with Nik at Ceriatone. I made some drawings in Corel Draw for my Trainwreck with all the cutouts and screw holes and it came out nearly perfect. I had to enlarge a couple of holes to make things fit but that probably was my mistake. I think I paid $90 with shipping for my custom aluminum chassis and it was at my door step in about 2 weeks. Highly recommend Ceriatone for custom chassis.

Omar
Good to know. Thanks man. I've e-mailed both him, and Mike, and I believe that between the two of them I should be able to find something workable. :)

Also, for those of you who've built AC30-ish amps, what trannies did you use, and what did you think of them? I'm gathering input/info on the trannies, as I'll purchase them first before I grab the chassis. Again, I'm leaning towards Mercury Magnetics stuff...

david