2w Sub Miniature Express

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ChrisM

Re: 2w Sub Miniature Express

Post by ChrisM »

Cant comment on speakers but the amp is push pull not SE.
dayn

Post by dayn »

Quick speaker question for the folks here. I am going to mate this with a small closed back 1x12 cab that I have, using either a Celestion Anniversary or an Eminence L'il Texas (125 watt neo-mag) that I have laying around. Any thoughts? Any favorite 12"s out there for the L'il Devil?
Celestion G12H30 70th Anniversary is perfect for me!

Congrats, these are great little amps.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

bradinnm wrote:Howdy folks, first post here! (Long time TGP'er).

I just picked up a Seafoam Green L'il Devil over at TGP and am really excited! As a long time small single ended amp fan, I can't wait to work with this.

Quick speaker question for the folks here. I am going to mate this with a small closed back 1x12 cab that I have, using either a Celestion Anniversary or an Eminence L'il Texas (125 watt neo-mag) that I have laying around. Any thoughts? Any favorite 12"s out there for the L'il Devil?

Thanks a bunch folks this seems like a real great group of posters.

Brad in NM
Hi Brad

Welcome to the forum!

I am still in the process of trying out different speakers with the lil Devil. I just got in some Jensen Tornados that sound great with a couple of other amps I have and I just installed one in an open back 1 x 12 cab to try with the lil Devil. The Tornados are also neo. I'll post here once I have tested it. I also have a new Fane Medusa 100 on it's way to try. The Fane, IIRC, is rated at 102 db 1w/1m and I have high hopes for it also. I would think if you could find a speaker with a greater efficiency it would make the amp sound a little louder. I think the best sound I have been able to get was with a closed back 4x12 cab loaded with Greenbacks. A little over kill for the Lil Devil but it does sound great through that cab.

As was posted by ChrisM the Lil Devil is a PP amp not SE. As the builder of that amp, if you have any questions please just let me know.
spiralstairs

Post by spiralstairs »

Hi Dana & all,

Well, I just got through all 36 or so pages...
Are the build docs available still?

Thx!
bradinnm

Post by bradinnm »

Thanks for the quick response Dana!

Yes I know the Devil is a PP not a SE that is why I was so interested in it. A TRUE low wattage PP amp with a full TMB tone stack to boot! I noticed that Mojotone is selling seafoam green tolex so I think I will recover the 1x12 for a seafoam mini stack :-)

In looking around at speakers, I was thinking that the Eminence Red Fang alnico might be a very good choice. It is a reasonable match at 30 watts and 35 ounce magnet, but the best part is it has a sensitivity of 103 db which might help provide some additional headroom to the L'ill Devil.

I will keep everyone posted.

bradinnm
UR12

Post by UR12 »

spiralstairs wrote:Hi Dana & all,

Well, I just got through all 36 or so pages...
Are the build docs available still?

Thx!
I don't sell these in Kit form any more, only finished amps. The build document is a step by step manual showing how to populate the circuit boards and mount them in the chassis. I am not sure that they would be of benefit to anyone trying to build one from scratch. Send me a PM and I can email it to you as it is so big that I can't attach it here.
bradinnm wrote:Thanks for the quick response Dana!

In looking around at speakers, I was thinking that the Eminence Red Fang alnico might be a very good choice. It is a reasonable match at 30 watts and 35 ounce magnet, but the best part is it has a sensitivity of 103 db which might help provide some additional headroom to the L'ill Devil.

I will keep everyone posted.

bradinnm
Yes, Please do keep us posted on your thoughts on speaker choice. Mojo's Seafoam green tolex should match perfectly.
dayn

Post by dayn »

MCK

Post by MCK »

Great tone & video. You really found a sweet combination there with the mojotone reverb & all. Wonderful!
dayn

Post by dayn »

bradinnm

Post by bradinnm »

Hey folks, I thought I would drop a brief update. I did receive my seafoam Lil Devil and it is mint mint mint :-) Unfortunately I have not been able to spend a lot of time with it as I had a tooth abscess on me, ouch :-( and therefore have not felt up to playing a lot yet.

I have played with it a little bit and have a few observations. I understand Dana's preference for a closed back cabinet. I have tried it both with an open back lopoline 1x12 and a closed back lopoline 1x12 (both with some Emenince neo speakers). The amp has a nice tightness in the low end that sound much more appropriate and authoritative to me with a closed back cab. This low end response is quite enjoyable from an am of such limited output power.

I also am starting to think that the neo may not be the best choice for this amp and as I stated previously I am going to order a high efficiency alnico for it soon.

When I get to feeling better and get some time I will post some pics, audio, etc.

Regards,

Brad in NM

PS. How is that line out coming Dana? Will it require the use of a speaker load as well or provide all the resistance needed?
UR12

Post by UR12 »

bradinnm wrote:
PS. How is that line out coming Dana? Will it require the use of a speaker load as well or provide all the resistance needed?

Thanks For the info on the speakers you have tried. I am loading up a small 1x12 cab with a new Fane Medusa. I haven't got it installed in the cab yet but hope to hear it this weekend. That was an interesting comment on the Neo's. I have a couple of the new Jensen Tornadoes with Neo magnets and they sound fantastic in a 2 x 12 closed back cab.

The little adapter for the line out it basically at a standstill. I am waiting on Transformers to go in the adapter from Heyboer. Unfortunately they shipped them to Dan Hall (Skyboltone) out west by mistake and I am waiting on them to get to me. I can't really do any more work on it until my trannies arrive. It will be able to be used with a speaker cab or without with it's own internal load.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

How's everyone going on the speaker front?

I'm still using an Eminence Wizard (65 watter) cause it's the most efficient speaker I have around. It's a naturally bright speaker, so have adjusted the TMB accordingly. Low end is faint (not unusual for a TW-type build). Doesn't have the headroom for volume knob backoff that real wrecks have; just runs out of gas. Assume that/s due the higher output speaker rating and the effeciency rating.

That's why I'm especially curious how things turn out, ;)
MCK

Post by MCK »

I run my 2 Lil Devils hooked up on the L & R Vintage 30s in my Marshall 1936V. Amp selection through Voodoo Lab Amp Switch. Great sound for my taste. Can get the roll off to cleans very good especially on one of the Lil Devils' where R12 is the standard value. The other one has a 100K if I recall correctly for added distortion. Couldn't be happier with these two little amps.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

I have had some requests from people about the various wiring schemes for different voltages on the Export PT. I have attached a PDF with wiring diagrams for 100/120/200/220/240 volt operation for the Lil Devil Power tranny. This Tranny is made for either 50hz or 60hz.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MCK

Post by MCK »

Amazing! Thanks much for posting this information. All the best.

I thought I found a suitable switch but I now realize it was a simple 1 pole distributor. I now realize I need something more complex like a 2 pole. Anyone have a link for a switch that can handle the connections in Dana's diagram?

Thanks!!!