2w Sub Miniature Express

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

UR12

Re: 2w Sub Miniature Express

Post by UR12 »

Structo wrote:I did a buy it now on a 2 x 12 cab a couple years ago.
A few days after I paid I hadn't heard anything and so I contacted the seller.
They said, oh it's being built.....
I said when I click a buy it now, to me that means the article is ready for shipping unless you state otherwise in the description.
Long story short, it took about two and a half weeks to get it.
I noticed after that they did say in their ad that it will take a couple weeks to ship.

I don't think they were dishonest, just not very accurate in the description about the cab.
Sort of like, we have your money now and we'll use it to buy material to build the cab type thing. :roll:
This add stated they had 10 available (Buy it now) and that it would be shipped withing 3 days of cleared payment.I bought the first one of the 10 and payment was cleared in minutes. I called the guy and left a message and got no call back so I sent him a message through ebay and he answered and said that they had sold 40 in the last 30 days and that he had another skid ready to ship on Thursday morning and mine would go out then. It would appear from the tracking info that it probably went out yesterday. So far the guy is batting 1000 at giving me bogus information. Tomorrow will be one week since he told me he would have the cab shipped on 2/4. Sad part is, I would have sent him a bunch of business if the cab works out. One less thing for me to fool with but since he has proven to me that he can't be trusted I will look at getting my cab builder here local to do them instead. He is slow but he tells me that up front.
Last edited by UR12 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
MCK

Post by MCK »

Agreed. Go local & support your community. You can't miss. Building these cabs can't be rocket science especially given the EVM design documents released on the web.
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

MCK wrote:Compared to the Marshall & V30, this cab & speaker combination is much more articulate. I now see how muddy the older setup was. Cleans are much cleaner. Low end is much more robust. Not sure how best to describe it really. I just love it.
These are supposed to be the deal for Dumble style builds as well. From what I have read of them it is possible to cover the port to tune the amount of low end to your tastes. Have you tried that?

I am also curious how important it is to use the EV speaker with these since the design was built around that specific speaker?

thanks,

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
UR12

Post by UR12 »

With the cover on you will loose 2-3db from 80 to 130hz. I would think you would not want to loose that range for guitar.
gary

Post by gary »

For all you Li'l Devil afficianados, where would be the optimum site for a heater balance trim pot on the L'il Devil ? Where would you attach the wiper to ground?
MCK

Post by MCK »

UR12 wrote:
Structo wrote:I did a buy it now on a 2 x 12 cab a couple years ago.
A few days after I paid I hadn't heard anything and so I contacted the seller.
They said, oh it's being built.....
I said when I click a buy it now, to me that means the article is ready for shipping unless you state otherwise in the description.
Long story short, it took about two and a half weeks to get it.
I noticed after that they did say in their ad that it will take a couple weeks to ship.

I don't think they were dishonest, just not very accurate in the description about the cab.
Sort of like, we have your money now and we'll use it to buy material to build the cab type thing. :roll:
This add stated they had 10 available (Buy it now) and that it would be shipped withing 3 days of cleared payment.I bought the first one of the 10 and payment was cleared in minutes. I called the guy and left a message and got no call back so I sent him a message through ebay and he answered and said that they had sold 40 in the last 30 days and that he had another skid ready to ship on Thursday morning and mine would go out then. It would appear from the tracking info that it probably went out yesterday. So far the guy is batting 1000 at giving me bogus information. Tomorrow will be one week since he told me he would have the cab shipped on 2/4. Sad part is, I would have sent him a bunch of business if the cab works out. One less thing for me to fool with but since he has proven to me that he can't be trusted I will look at getting my cab builder here local to do them instead. He is slow but he tells me that up front.
Any luck? Hope the cabs showed up by now.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

MCK wrote: Any luck? Hope the cabs showed up by now.
Yes I finally got the cab on Saturday. I got the Medusa mounted and the jack all wired up in the back. I fired it up on Sunday for our old folks jam and one of the Guitar players used it with my Rocket. I didn't have the Lil Devil there this weekend to try but should get it back this evening and will give it a go.

I like the sound of the Fane and the Rocket. I think the cab AND the speaker both extend the bottom end so I have High hopes for the Lil Devil. The Fane is very loud /efficient for a 1x 12 and had no problem with the 30 watts the Rocket pushed through it. It kept up nicely with a Traynor YBA4 50 watt amp the other guitar player was using and cut through my Drums and Bass player just fine. I was a little amazed that the 1x12 could do all that. I also have a EV12L to try.
MCK

Post by MCK »

Great to hear! All that ends well... Lets see what you think of the EVM coupled with the Lil Devil
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Well I have had a chance to do a little taste testing and I have to say I really like the Theile cab/ Fane Medusa combo. The Bass response is wonderful, the 103 db rating at one watt makes this a loud lil combination. I did get to try the EV 12L out also and while either speaker would be more than exceptable, I think the Fane won out at least to my ears. It just has a warmer mid to me not so pronounced. This may change if the Fane bets broken in but it may take a while to break in a 150w speaker with a 2w amp :lol: .

For anyone who is interested in building your own, you can get plans for the cab here. It is a EV designed TL 806 1x12 ported Bass cab. I'll try and post a couple of pics this evening.

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/B ... 0Plans.pdf

I would love to hear from anyone who gets to try one of these with their Lil Devil. I may start offering them as a option to go with the heads I sell.
dayn

Post by dayn »

I may start offering them as a option to go with the heads I sell.
Closed back combo maybe?
UR12

Post by UR12 »

dayn wrote:
I may start offering them as a option to go with the heads I sell.
Closed back combo maybe?
These really aren't closed back they are ported and I will probably stick with the head/extension cab for now. I have to tolex the one I just got in and make a grille for the front.
MCK

Post by MCK »

Hi Dana. Been a long time with no movement on this thread. So how did you go? Got your Thiele by now. Which way are you leaning? EV or Fane?
UR12

Post by UR12 »

MCK wrote:Hi Dana. Been a long time with no movement on this thread. So how did you go? Got your Thiele by now. Which way are you leaning? EV or Fane?
I have been so busy building Lil Devils I have had "lil" time to look up from my work bench. Between the two speakers I have in my possesion I would have to go with the Fane. Having said that, the EV is not mine and the owner is having thoughts that his EV may need to be reconed. He has reported that he has had to recently drive it a little harder to get the sound he use to get at lower volumes so I am not sure this was a great A/B test. I really think though from what I am hearing, either the EV or the Fane sounds great in this cab as does the Lil Devil. I will try and post some pics this evening..

I did get a Lil Devil out to a friend's studio for him to make some clips last week. I am waiting on the MP3s to be mixed down as we speak. He is a blues player so it should be interesting to see what he came up with.
MCK

Post by MCK »

Hi Dana,

Glad to hear that the business is good. Lil' Devils are here to stay! Look forward to hearing those clips. I'm sure they will be awesome!

I was looking at your 2 channel (Liverpool + Express preamp) amp thread. Couldn't help but think how awesome it would be to do something similar with the sub-miniatures...

Regards,
Kerem
dayn

Post by dayn »

Couldn't help but think how awesome it would be to do something similar with the sub-miniatures...
2-watt TW/Dumble?