2w Sub Miniature Express

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Re: 2w Sub Miniature Express

Post by M Fowler »

Geez Dana your one heck of a busy fellow. The amps look great and I love the alligator :)

Mark
Richie

Post by Richie »

man i like that gator.. :D
Colossal

Re: Christmas amps

Post by Colossal »

UR12 wrote:Here is a couple of pics of some LD's I have built in the last couple of weeks. "Buy American" theme and a little Alligator.
Nice work Dana. +1 to buying American!
UR12 wrote:BTW, no animals were harmed in the making of the amp :lol:
+2! :lol:
gary

dodgy pot ?

Post by gary »

I think half of my dual gang pot has failed; bias is still adjusting between full and 10 percent - but b+ doesn't want to get past 70ish volts. The opposite failure would have been worse, I suppose!

Anyone know a supplier in the UK for a replacement pot? If not, what's the minimum safety spec I need to look for in a replacement unit?

Thanks Guys and Gals
UR12

Re: dodgy pot ?

Post by UR12 »

gary wrote:I think half of my dual gang pot has failed; bias is still adjusting between full and 10 percent - but b+ doesn't want to get past 70ish volts. The opposite failure would have been worse, I suppose!

Anyone know a supplier in the UK for a replacement pot? If not, what's the minimum safety spec I need to look for in a replacement unit?

Thanks Guys and Gals
Hi Gary

Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll have another on the way. Are you sure it's the pot and not the mosfet?
gary

Post by gary »

Thanks for the offer Dana.
In my ignorance, I assumed a mosfet failure mode would be more catastrophic. I have an irf840 I can try in there. Will report back.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

gary wrote:Thanks for the offer Dana.
In my ignorance, I assumed a mosfet failure mode would be more catastrophic. I have an irf840 I can try in there. Will report back.
Just let me know what you find out. You might want to replace the 6v zener also. If it is bad it could take out the new mosfet. You might want to resolder the pot connections to the board also before replacing the mosfet/zener.
gary

Post by gary »

reflowed the solder to the pot connections and it's back to normal !

Strange because they 'looked' perfect.

Thanks for your help guys.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

I had a local guy buy a Lil Devil through a local music store that I have selling my amps. The owner plays at a local church on Sundays and last Sunday he took the amp to church for their lead player to try out. I get asked a lot about being able to gig with a 2 watt amp. This is the first video I have seen with someone actually giging with the amp. The little amp holds it's own pretty good. These submini tubes never cease to amaze me. The amp is the little white head on the right side in the video.

To try and spare you the whole video of the service the music segments can be found from:

00:03:00 to 00:09:00
00:09:00 to 00:12:30
00:13:00 to 00:15:30
00:15:30 to 00:18:00
01:07:00 to 01:13:30

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13131797

Post by RedHouse »

Nice work on this amp.

To bad you don't offer a PCB/Iron/Chassis kit, let folks source their own small parts. Would be easy on you and yet still offer the DIY'er a solution.
zambo

Post by zambo »

I just watched a video of the lil devil being played in a church. Anyone else see the irony? Amp sounds great man!
UR12

Post by UR12 »

RedHouse wrote:Nice work on this amp.

To bad you don't offer a PCB/Iron/Chassis kit, let folks source their own small parts. Would be easy on you and yet still offer the DIY'er a solution.
I have thought of doing that. When I sold complete kits I was bombarded with too many support questions and spent all my time answering emails of people needing help with their kit builds. If I could sell the boards chassis and Iron without having to provide support then it wouldn't be too bad but somehow I get the feeling that wouldn't happen. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in a PCB/Iron/Chassis with the understanding that Their won't be a lot of support questions. It comes with a comprehensive 50+ page build manual.

zambo wrote:I just watched a video of the lil devil being played in a church. Anyone else see the irony? Amp sounds great man!
Ha Ha. What better place for a Lil Devil than church. Actually the guy that bought it owns a recording studio and plays in the band at church. He (the owner) is the one playing the modified Bandmaster my brother modded for him. The Lil Devil is making a Joyful Noise :lol:
MCK

Post by MCK »

Dana's 50 page build manual as well as the overall design is awesome. Building the amp was huge fun!
UR12

Post by UR12 »

After months of waiting on my cab builder I finally got four of the cabs in (more on the way) and one of the TL806 cabs finished. I decided to go with a tolex covering to match the Lil Devil cabs but had to cut the grooves for the string piping and figure out a way to fabricate and mount the grill on the front of the cab so that it can be removed for speaker maintenance and replacement. Now that I have all that figured out I should be able to crank a few of these out. These are made out of 13 ply Oak plywood and has a Fane Medusa 150 watt speaker in it. Puts out 103db with 1 watt input but can also handle a 100 watt amp just as easily. The cab is tuned to 80hz. There are plans on the internet for anyone wanting to build their own.

http://boreas.telex.com/archives/EV/Bui ... 0Plans.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Too cool Dana! Those look slick!
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.