2w Sub Miniature Express

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

UR12

Re: 2w Sub Miniature Express

Post by UR12 »

gearhead wrote:How's everyone going on the speaker front?

I'm still using an Eminence Wizard (65 watter) cause it's the most efficient speaker I have around. It's a naturally bright speaker, so have adjusted the TMB accordingly. Low end is faint (not unusual for a TW-type build). Doesn't have the headroom for volume knob backoff that real wrecks have; just runs out of gas. Assume that/s due the higher output speaker rating and the effeciency rating.

That's why I'm especially curious how things turn out, ;)
I finally just ordered a cab instead of trying to build one. I just don't have the time right now to stop and build a cab. I found one online that was the exact one I was planning on building. It is a EV design for a TL806 single 12 ported bass box. A lot of people are using them . Mesa has one and so does a few other manufacturers that are basically the same exact cab. I should have mine in next week and can finally load the Fane Medusa to try out. I'll let you know how it works out and I have been holding off on any studio produced clips of the amp until I can get the speaker cab thing figured out. Keep you fingers crossed. I hope it works.

Here is a link to the one I bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/THIELE-THEILE-EVM12 ... 414c2f2906
Structo

Post by Structo »

Decent price on that Dana.

I have wanted to try an TL806 for quite a while.

Actually I would like to build a 2 x 806 with two EVM 12L's. :D

It would probably need a fork lift to move it though. :lol:

But since my venue is a bedroom, not much chance of it leaving the house.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Structo wrote:Decent price on that Dana.

I have wanted to try an TL806 for quite a while.

Actually I would like to build a 2 x 806 with two EVM 12L's. :D

It would probably need a fork lift to move it though. :lol:

But since my venue is a bedroom, not much chance of it leaving the house.
I have been wanting to build one for a while now too. Just can't find the time. Glad I found it at that price and I can cover it to match the amp. He also has empty finished cabs for $240 IIRC.

The Fane Medusa I have is about as heavy as the EV12L. It is a 150w 103db 1w/1m 12" The speaker cab and speaker is going to be worth more than the Amp :lol:

Here is a link to the plans if anyone is interested
http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/B ... 0Plans.pdf
MCK

Post by MCK »

Funny how we are all looking at the same things. I have been trying to score a Mesa Thiele pre-loaded with a EVM12L but short of getting there like that my option 2 is the same cab you posted the link to. Looks great and based on feedback on TGP etc sounds like this a great cab.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

MCK wrote:Funny how we are all looking at the same things. I have been trying to score a Mesa Thiele pre-loaded with a EVM12L but short of getting there like that my option 2 is the same cab you posted the link to. Looks great and based on feedback on TGP etc sounds like this a great cab.
I have a friend that owns one of the Mesa cabs with the EV 12L and he is using it with a Mesa Dual Recto amp. After measuring eveything up it looks like Mesa copied or tweeked the design from EV. It sounds wonderfull and I have been waiting to get together with him to try the Lil Devil through it but our schedules for the last month just haven't worked out.

I am etching the board for the new Micro Plexi tonight. I may have the prototype running by this weekend if my #65 and #70 drill bits hold out. I only have one of each left and more on order. They are so easy to break I will be holding my breath on every hole :lol: I'll try and post some pics in a new thread in the tech section.
MCK

Post by MCK »

UR12 wrote:I am etching the board for the new Micro Plexi tonight. I may have the prototype running by this weekend if my #65 and #70 drill bits hold out.
Here we go... Cat is out of the bag. Waiting to hear of your first reports with excitement!
dayn

Post by dayn »

Nice! Can't wait to get a Plexi!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

UR12

Post by UR12 »

M Fowler wrote:www.potentiometers.com
I contacted them and they are sending me a sample. I was quoted a price of $18.50 ea for quantities of 100 for a dual analog 1 meg pot with concentric shafts. They sent out the sample yesterday.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I was thinking about using them last year for a build but never did. Looks like they have a high quality product.
MCK

Post by MCK »

Got my EVM12L cabs delivered today

http://www.digimart.net/inst_detail.do? ... DS00843382
Size: 47.5 cm high, 48 cm wide, 36 cm long

http://www.digimart.net/inst_detail.do? ... DS00841121
Size: 47 cm high, 37cm wide, 35 cm long

One is Thiele clone and the other is a non-ported Mesa Recto cab. Both loaded with recent reissue 200w Classics. Now I have enough speakers to go around. Wohoo!
UR12

Post by UR12 »

MCK wrote:Got my EVM12L cabs delivered today

http://www.digimart.net/inst_detail.do? ... DS00843382
Size: 47.5 cm high, 48 cm wide, 36 cm long

http://www.digimart.net/inst_detail.do? ... DS00841121
Size: 47 cm high, 37cm wide, 35 cm long

One is Thiele clone and the other is a non-ported Mesa Recto cab. Both loaded with recent reissue 200w Classics. Now I have enough speakers to go around. Wohoo!
Sweet!! Can't wait for a report on how they sound, especially the Thiel. I'm still waiting on mine to come in. :roll:
MCK

Post by MCK »

Will try try to record some. By the way, took a look in the Thiele to make sure I have the right speaker in there and noted that the cab is stuffed with something like 2" glasswool. Thought I should share.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

MCK wrote:Will try try to record some. By the way, took a look in the Thiele to make sure I have the right speaker in there and noted that the cab is stuffed with something like 2" glasswool. Thought I should share.
That is correct about the wool. It is also talked about in the plans I have from EV
MCK

Post by MCK »

Man, you're in for a treat! These things are just amazing. Lil' Devil sounds great through a Thiele design with EVM12L. So much better to my ears compared with my Marshall 1936V cab loaded with Vintage 30s. I love it.