Oh, so close to finishing! Standby/mains switch question!!

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

gnugear

Oh, so close to finishing! Standby/mains switch question!!

Post by gnugear »

I'm looking at the Francesca photos and the drawing from Nik and have a question. I'm using Marshall style power switches and wasn't sure if I've got them wired correctly. The way I was going to do it is (B). Nik's drawing of Francesca is (A). Can someone clarify? Thanks ... I might have this up and running this weekend! :)

LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Re: Oh, so close to finishing! Standby/mains switch question!!

Post by LeftyStrat »

Not sure I understand the B drawing. For the power switch are those jumpers running horizontally from left lug to right? If so that is wrong.

(120) -> (primary and lamp)
(120) -> (primary and lamp)

So if those aren't jumpers in your drawing you have it right (the -> is the switch part). You can also measure on with your DVM which two lugs get connected when you throw the switch. You want one leg of the wall supply on one side and one PT primary on the other. Lamp should run between the two primaries.

For the standby, again, find the two lugs that connect when you throw the switch and connect one lug to the first filter cap and the other lug to one end of the big resistor and to the OT center tap.

And of course we all want clips once you've got it fired up and working.
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Half right! Put the standby on the same side vertically. When you hit the switch you will see a connection between them. as long as the bottom lugs on the power switch go to your two PT primaries anf the two top lugs go to your neutral and fuse connection, that is right. I did it exactly that way. I even put my varistor on those lugs.
Allynmey
gnugear

Post by gnugear »

Thanks for the replys. I'm somewhat challenged at this stuff so I'm posting another pic. Yes, those black lines were jumper wires. Does this one look correct?

One more question. What kind of indicator light is being used? I know they can be hooked up different ways depending on voltage, correct?

LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

B looks right, if and only if when you close the switch the top two terminals get connected. If flipping the switch instead connects top to bottom, you'll short your PT.

As far as indicator, there are some that are 120 VAC, and some that are 6VAC. If you have the later then connect it to your two heater wires.