Why build heavy hard wood TW head cabs?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bluesfendermanblues

Why build heavy hard wood TW head cabs?

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

Dear all,

I'm kind of new to TW amps.

A couple of month ago I build a Ceriatone Dumble clone and have spend like forever tuning the amp and paralel to that process, reading almost all dumble info on amp garage.

So I'm kind of new to TW amps, but nontheless very interested in the purity of tone i TW amps. I think I'll build an Express, which schematic wise looks like a fender preamp into a marshall pwr amp.

Ont thing that has puzzled me though, is the fact that you all (TW guys) seem to end you amp project with building a fine hard wood cab, reminiscent of the finest of Mesa Boogie's.

But Why???? hard wood cabs are heavy to lurk around and a lackered finsih is sensitive to road wear,
.........Do you really play those amps at gigs? or are they merely studio og bedroom amps, that stay at home???
guitarsnguns04

Re: Why build heavy hard wood TW head cabs?

Post by guitarsnguns04 »

Have you ever seen one? To me they are just beautiful. Nothing wrong with looking as good as it sounds but to each his own. The amps built here are clones and a lot of people like to clone every aspect of the original. Some guys just want to clone the tone in which case any headcab would suit the build just fine...do whatever you want and best of luck to you on your build..I love my express fwiw
hairyandy

Post by hairyandy »

Well, this one was taken out to quite a few gigs...all over the states and Europe! :D The finish survived well although the faceplate did get a little water damaged from condensation in it's road case on the way back from Europe. I think I needed a few more coats of tung oil on it...

[img:600:450]http://www.andyharrison.net/files/trainw1.jpg[/img]

Andy
Tubetwang

Post by Tubetwang »

here's my little Liverpool and Express...

Great amps...simple...efficient...they work fine...

Mine are boxed in 3/4" Baltic Birch...

I have select Pau Amarrillo waiting in the wings but have'nt had time to build boxes...

Major Twang
bluesfendermanblues

Andy, I like your humor ;-)

PS: Give my best regards to Sheryl, I'm a big fan of the both of you!
captain_rusty

Post by captain_rusty »

I lug mine about to gigs etc. and decided to go for "serviceable" rather than "beautiful". I'm sure it's the only one like it in France :)

[img:425:319]http://rustyzone.free.fr/images/liverpool_10.jpg[/img]
muchxs

Post by muchxs »

Musicians are a conservative lot. Picture some punk with rotting skulls tattoo'ed all over his body, a bunch of rings in his lips and a couple silver bones through his eyebrows. But he has a PRS and a vintage Marshall, that's his tone and he's not going to do anything different.

Ken Fisher could have built a lot more Trainwrecks if certain details of the build (like the cabinet) were more mainstream.

I've built a few tolex Wreck cabs. It's my solution to an affordable Wreck cab and my answer to some of the butt-ugly alternatives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

bluesfendermanblues wrote:Dear all,

I'm kind of new to TW amps.

A couple of month ago I build a Ceriatone Dumble clone and have spend like forever tuning the amp and paralel to that process, reading almost all dumble info on amp garage.

So I'm kind of new to TW amps, but nontheless very interested in the purity of tone i TW amps. I think I'll build an Express, which schematic wise looks like a fender preamp into a marshall pwr amp.

Ont thing that has puzzled me though, is the fact that you all (TW guys) seem to end you amp project with building a fine hard wood cab, reminiscent of the finest of Mesa Boogie's.

But Why???? hard wood cabs are heavy to lurk around and a lackered finsih is sensitive to road wear,
.........Do you really play those amps at gigs? or are they merely studio og bedroom amps, that stay at home???
You think that's obsessive. Check out the long thread on hunting down the "right" feet! I haven't built one with a hardwood cab yet because nobody wants to pay the $200 extra for hardwood. If I can get ahead enough to actually own one of my own I intend to stick in in Western Curly Maple. I think I'd like to do a carving leather one and turn it over to a good saddle carver too. Maybe with silver dome knobs, a chrome panel with black silkscreen and black garolite face above the panel. Telexpress. Then again maybe baby sealskin........
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Plague

Post by Plague »

I'm having a custom Anvil case being built for my liverpool clone right now.

I don't think I would gig with anything else besides a hardwood cabinet anymore.

I love how it looks.

People always wonder what the hell it is at gigs and when I explain its basically a bunch of old organ parts they trip out. Fun to have something unique.

All of that on top of the tone that slays everyone is great

Look how well it blends into Bamboo!!! lol

~Tyler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tubetwang

Post by Tubetwang »

Plague wrote:I'm having a custom Anvil case being built for my liverpool clone right now.

I don't think I would gig with anything else besides a hardwood cabinet anymore.

I love how it looks.

People always wonder what the hell it is at gigs and when I explain its basically a bunch of old organ parts they trip out. Fun to have something unique.

All of that on top of the tone that slays everyone is great

Look how well it blends into Bamboo!!! lol

~Tyler

I agree...

Blends well into Bamboo.

It's that Marshall cab that looks out of place... :roll: :D :lol: :lol: 8)

Major Twang
Paul86

Post by Paul86 »

Hey Plague,
Please post another shot of your rig. I happen to find the 'Wreck + Marshall cab combo a nice one, especially if it comes together with a nice Paul.
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

While I have an extreme appreciation for fine hardwoods, and Larry Mann's cabs leave me speechless, I have plenty of first-hand knowledge and belief in what the road can do to equipment. That's why my Express clone is housed in a custom-sized drawer from Woodcraft, covered in truck bed liner. I have gigged with her for a year and haven't even been tempted to kill anyone over dinging it :D When I quit gigging, I'll be calling Larry Mann 8)
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
Plague

Post by Plague »

Paul86 wrote:Hey Plague,
Please post another shot of your rig. I happen to find the 'Wreck + Marshall cab combo a nice one, especially if it comes together with a nice Paul.
Here you go...
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

bluesfenderman... welcome to the world of Trainwreck. I get in hot water here occasionally because I'm not a real strict cloner and I do stuff a little different, but generally these are terrific guys and you will learn a ton from them.

I kinda like Dr. Hulsey's cab for the obvious reason that it's not gonna show the little dings here and there. I made my own iteration of that with the multi-purpose all weather tuff-blak coating.

For a show piece, nothing looks cooler than a wreck in a cherry cab. For an amp that gets loaded in and out of my vehicle a couple times a week, I went for ruggedized utility version....

also note - Trainwreck cabs don't have any handles.

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
bluesfendermanblues

RJ, cool looking amps on your site and nice simple solutions regarding the 'handles'

I really did both Dumble and TW amps. And I fully appreciate people making loyal clone of these amp giants.

However, for the gigging guitarist, factors like low weight are extremely important. Therefore, its great, that we can now get Neodynium speakers (like e.g. eminence tonkerlite) which will seriously help us save weight on our gear.

The weight issue might not be that important to the youngsters among us, but I'm 45 and when I pack my car with guitar and amp gear at 3 o'clock I really enjoy low weight :-)

I very interested in combining the classic TW or Dumble tones with weight saving solutions like pine cabs and neo speakers..........