Rocket head cab, errrr, drawer

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sliberty

Rocket head cab, errrr, drawer

Post by sliberty »

I want to thank those who brought this cool idea to light here. I purchased one of those custom sized drawers, as well as a 24"x3"x1/8" cherry vaneer from Woodcraft, and a small piece of poplar from Home Depot. Including stain and poly, the total cost was about $80. If I owned a router and had the skills, I would have rounded the edges too, but alas...

In these crazy economic times, this solution was very attractive to me, and I am really happy with the results. Someday, maybe I will buy a "proper" head cab for my Rocket (I have one for my Express), but for now, this will do very well.

Thanks to all that helped.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanz

Re: Rocket head cab, errrr, drawer

Post by Stanz »

Being a DIY community, there is no "right" way. Safe to say, you can hold your head high when showing your rig to others, "Bet you don't have one of THESE!!" :lol:
Structo

Post by Structo »

That looks fine to me.

What I wonder if it is a drawer how do you get one that is finger jointed that has a top board?

Aren't most drawers open on the top?

I saw a neat tutorial on making finger joints with a table saw and a dado blade.
Looked pretty simple as long as you measure correctly.

http://www.cabinetmaking.com/pages/fingerjig.htm
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

Here is how these drawers work

You get the 4 sides of the drawer along with a 1/8" drawer bottom board. The drawer boards have a slot cut into the lower end for this bottom board. I of course didn't use the bottom board at all. So, what you end up with is just a 4 sided box. turning the box on one side, you have a top, bottom and two sides for your head cabinet. The front valance is a board I bought at Home Depot seperately.
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

I've built two myself, and whilst they are nothing like what Distortion and real cabinet makers build, it works. The wood quality is not very uniform for staining, but the joints are very well done and the price sure is right.

It certainly is a good chassis holder until one can afford well made cab......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Curbdog

Post by Curbdog »

That looks great ! I did the same thing, and it came out awesome. The drawer boards have a slot cut into the lower end for the drawer bottom, and I cut a piece of 1/4 " smoked plexi and put that in there before I put it together. It looks cool with the tubes glowing through...
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

Steve,

How did banging it together go for you? I had trouble getting my dovetails flush...I had a rubber mallet and maybe gave up on the first corner too soon. (It looks better with roundovers, but I don't have an up to date pic.)

[Post Script] I had them delete the kerf for the drawer bottom.
Last edited by jaysg on Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

Three of the four joints were very tight. I had to tap them with a hammer, using a piece of cardboard to protect the wood. The fourth joint was actually loose, but the wood glue I used took care of that. A for being flush, they aren't perect. I sand a little on the worst parts, and left the rest as is.
Curbdog

Post by Curbdog »

All look great ! I did mine the same way, and it came out awesome. I cut a piece of 1/4" thick smoked plexi for the front. Slid right into the drawer bottom slot, before I put it together. Looks cool with the tubes glowing through..
Paul86

Post by Paul86 »

sliberty,
that sure looks fine!
Can you post the whole picture? What is that sitting on top of your amp?
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

Paul86 wrote:sliberty,
that sure looks fine!
Can you post the whole picture? What is that sitting on top of your amp?
The cab underneath is nothing special - a Marshall 1936.

The little amp on top used to be a Bogen PA. Now it is a BF Fender Princeton derivative.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I got the drawer kit too and used a rubber mallet to pound it together. I am taking it apart now to add a filler strip of mahogany in the dado for the drawer bottom which will add some contrasting wood feature and local cherry stock for the front valance and faceplate. The dovetails are made slightly long so that you can sand these down that is normal. I will then round the edges over with my router. This is not the best looking cherry but a great idea for a very quick cabinet. I did enjoy the pictures you guys sent and I will send one when I am done. I think the guy that had the two blue cabs; the black one and the yellow cab were all great looking as well. I have downloaded so many pictures of cabs to look at it is crazy what we come up with. Distortion and Richie and others have outstanding cabs very nice work.

Mark
muchxs

Post by muchxs »

The anti-drawers are still available.

While not quite as inexpensive as the drawers they come assembled w/ front panel, roundover and covering. All recent versions come with either a roundover or a bevel (not shown) on the bottom of the front panel.

They're also available scaled to fit Hammond's 16" x 8" x 2" chassis. I have an ODS styled cab for the same chassis in clamps right now.
Brad737

Post by Brad737 »

How much are the "anti-drawers"? :)

Are there any color options? Can I get one in plain cherry?
I’d like to start a religion. That’s where the money is.
-- L. Ron Hubbard to Lloyd Eshbach, in 1949
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yes, where do you buy these drawers?

Ok I found it at Woodcraft.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!