It works...new Express build comes to life...

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

fzfwyv

It works...new Express build comes to life...

Post by fzfwyv »

Well, first off, thanks to everyone who helped sort out a few issues for me. Equal thanks to Nik at Ceriatone for doing most of the work (beautiful stuff). And finally to Moose for the sweet transformers.

Anyway, to all who helped me sort out the problems, the 3 major root causes were a bad standby switch (not working), an ungrounded bias circuit, and a broken/cold solder joint on the input jack wire that goes to V1p7. Took me long enough to trace through, but it wouldn't have been possible without all the great advice you guys so generously gave!

So now, to the amp itself. Playing it through my /13 2x12 with a Celestion Blue + G12H30. That's all I have now but thinking of getting a new cab with 2 greenbacks. Using an R9 with Darkbursts and a stock Eric Johnson strat.

This amp ROCKS!!!

At idle, the amp is suprisingly quiet. I expected a little more noise, either some hum or more hiss, but I think it's very, very reasonable.

This amp is soooo sweet. I've been playing it for about 3 hours off and on. I guess you could say everything I've read about an Express is true.

I've been trying to cop Geetarpickers licks in his videos (OK, so I'm not even close to being as skilled as him) and the amp is so freaking dynamic. Yes, the guitar volume gives you so many options.

I can see myself having lots of fun with this one! Although there may be an attenuator in my sight in the near future.

More to report and clips to come but here some pics i just snapped a few minutes ago.

I'll need to properly bias (I think I have it close). I have a few sets of "Winged C" EL34's.

Thanks again everyone!

-Rich

fzfwyv

Re: It works...new Express build comes to life...

Post by fzfwyv »

some more...

Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Nice job! :D I would love to hear clips.

Allynmey
Mark

Post by Mark »

That is a nice looking amp!

It is good to hear that you are very happy with it.

Will you use a hardwood cab?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

Cool, I'm glad you got it sorted out. Another wreck is born. Man are you guys just playing with us? How many 'wrecks have come alive today, April fools and what not.
bnwitt

Nice

Post by bnwitt »

Ah the sweet sound of one's own work. Congratulations. Rock on.
Great things happen in a vacuum
gnugear

Post by gnugear »

Awesome ... very clean inside! I'm glad you got it all worked out. I'm absolutely in love with my wreck.
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

Very nice and clean:) Just curious, who makes ceriatones caps?
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Well you devil Rich! You never told me you were getting into one of these.

How very cool. We'll have to hook up. I have a Rocket clone on my bench as we speak. Not mine though.

I would love to hear the Express.

Terry
fzfwyv

Post by fzfwyv »

Hi Terry...I was going through a phase and this is what inspired me. I'll bring it over for sure and let you and JJ play it. That's when I hear what an amp really sounds like!

For your reference, it's in the same ballpark as the RSA 23 but I will have to say I lean more towards the Express as a better sounding amp. And that 23 ain't no slouch!!

I can bring it over in raw form anytime...lets set up a time!

-Rich