Power cap tech tip for TW

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Allynmey
Site Admin

Power cap tech tip for TW

Post by Allynmey »

If anyone else here is using Niks chassis and Spragues or Mallorys you've noticed the slight clearance for the caps and the bottom of the chassis. :lol:

Tech tip:

Heat up the chassis with a heatgun (not too much!) put your hot glue down and you have lots of time to position your caps before the glue hardens. You really have to press them down or the caps will protrude below the chassis lip :cry:

Allynmey
UR12

Re: Power cap tech tip for TW

Post by UR12 »

Allyn

Only one thing to say Simply brilliant!!!!! 8)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Dear Allynmey

That is a good tip, it's the sort of thing that is often overlooked when building amps.

Another possiblity is to use stuff like RTV3145, which is the clear silicone stuff you squeeze out of a tube. You have a lot more time to work it before it cures and it allows some movement when it dries which I imagine hot glue doesn't.

How is building a clone of Francesca going and what mods did you have to do to the basic circuit to get the clone amp to sound the same as Francesca?

I hope you don't mind me asking, it would be good info to know as we are pretty much all using the same parts. Thanks again for the tip, and any info you'd like to tell us.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Mark

Post by Mark »

Back to the top.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

I used double sided Super strength mounting tape and it works really well, the cab will hold the caps in place once it's done, and they're pretty easy to remove for servicing.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works