Now that we have built them.........

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Allynmey
Site Admin

Now that we have built them.........

Post by Allynmey »

What tubes are everyone using?

Bias settings?

Knob settings?

Speakers?

Me...................
Mullard Re-issues...sound very good. 12ax7's from Sarge (Electrohome label) sound great!

30 mA

V=12 o'clock
T= 10 o'clock
M=11 o'clock
B=1 o'clock
P=11 o'clock Honestly I haven't played with them much

G12-65's 4X12 and 2X12 Greenback open back.

I am in love with this amp. I wouldn't change one thing. If you rake across a diminished chord when it is cranked, you can hear every note clearly. Roll off the volume and it is bright and chimey like a fender. 8)

Very cool...............

Allynmey
rhinson

Re: Now that we have built them.........

Post by rhinson »

hello, in my first clone i used the siemens el34's and they sounded very good, but (slipping into my asbestos suit now) i like the EH slim bottle el34's almost as much. i use a eh12ax7lps in the p.i. and have tried various tubes as the input tube. i really really like the new eh5751 gold as the input tube, and also nos g.e. 5751's. i can't remember what i have in the second position right now. at any rate, it sounds very good----i've had a couple of nice offers from pals and acquaintances but told them no way dude----at least until i build another down the road! also, i noticed a distinct change/improvement by getting the mallory pvc caps in there---it immediately smoothed out a good bit and even seemed clearer and more responsive as well. placebo effect? maybe but i'm pretty objective on such stuff and the difference (i believe) is there. rh
HiGain

Post by HiGain »

mullard reissue el34 also.

low gain Ruby 12ax7 in v1 (need to try a 5751). sovtek lps in v2 and v3.

around 30mA

no bright swich used.

V=11 o'clock
T= 1 o'clock
M=1 o'clock
B=1:30 o'clock
P=12:30 o'clock

All I have now is an avatar 2X12 semi open, with a g12h and a v30. I am going to close the back.

I love the amp too. The volume is an issue, and it's not as magical with 6V6 tubes. But, no matter what, it's a thrill to play.

Jake
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

HiGain wrote:mullard reissue el34 also.

low gain Ruby 12ax7 in v1 (need to try a 5751). sovtek lps in v2 and v3.

around 30mA

no bright swich used.

V=11 o'clock
T= 1 o'clock
M=1 o'clock
B=1:30 o'clock
P=12:30 o'clock

All I have now is an avatar 2X12 semi open, with a g12h and a v30. I am going to close the back.

I love the amp too. The volume is an issue, and it's not as magical with 6V6 tubes. But, no matter what, it's a thrill to play.

Jake
Higain, we will be getting together in New Jersey at Greg's place soon I'm sure if your interested. I'd love to compare and contrast the amps. I find it amazing that the hype is true. But, it is. Many people have built these amps (mostly from random schematics) and for the most part have had certain complaints about them. Just this weekend 4 or 5 people built 'wrecks using the Francesca pics as a layout and Kelly '90 (A1b) schematic and (key) the correct parts have all come up with similar sounding amps with tales of wetting themselves when playing them. I have to say I really am amazed. I was very skeptical of the KF mythology out there. I have to say I was wrong!!! :oops:

Allynmey
gnugear

Post by gnugear »

Let's see ...

Svetlana EL34s (it's what I had laying around)
Bugle Boy in V1, Mullard in V2/V3
Bias at 32mA

Volume: 4-7
Treble: 6
Mid: 5
Bass: 1
Presence: 6-7

Playing through a '68 straight basketweave with 55hz G12M blackbacks.

The tone controls seem to change constantly so those are only temporary settings!
Elcabong

Post by Elcabong »

Svetlana EL34s
JJ in V1
EH in V2/V3

Bias is around 32mA

Volume: 10-12 o'clock
Treble: 10 o'clock
Mid: 12 o'clock
Bass: 12 o'clock
Presence: 3 o'clock

G12H 4x12 cabinet

I have tried EI's in V1/V2 but they were microphonic. I need to get some NOS tubes and give them a try.
Last edited by Elcabong on Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
doctord02

Post by doctord02 »

Sylvania 6CA7 big bottles from the stash
JJ 12AX7s in v1 v2 and v3

bias about 30mA

everything about noon.

speakers are either Scumbag 55Hz HP H30 clones or a G12H30 loaded 4x12
HiGain

Post by HiGain »

Higain, we will be getting together in New Jersey at Greg's place soon I'm sure if your interested. I'd love to compare and contrast the amps. I find it amazing that the hype is true.
Sounds great. I'd love to come along. I just have to overcome the guilt of not being with me kids on my off time... I could bring a couple express-type amps, as well as some other goodies.

The express is totally amazing... I think the tone is great, but, as others have said, the feel is truly exciting.

Jake
NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq »

Crank it to ten and blow the guilt away. :lol:
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Update........ I just put a set of matched NOS/NIB Siemans in there and it seems twice as loud as the Mullard re-issues. It sounds Much, much better also. I think I have it tubed the way I like. The attack is incredible! I find I don''t even have to roll off the volume much. I just pick very lightly and it cleads up and then nail a power chord to bring back the wall of doom!!! :shock:

Anyone else find any other tubes they like?

Allynmey
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Allyn

I did the same thing. I started with a set of NOS soveteks and switched to a set of Slightly used Svetlana's an the amp just seemed to come alive. Like you said night and day. I do like the sound of 6V6s in there too. What imp primary did you end up going with??
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Allynmey
gnugear

Post by gnugear »

I've only been messing with the preamp tubes but I'm sold on the Amperex/Bugle Boy in V1. I was using Phillips/Mullards in V2 and V3, but just tried Brimars and really like them a lot ... very rock oriented and a little more growl.

I've been using a pair of old Svets for power tubes but need to try some others out. I've got some JJ EL34Ls, and EH 6CA7s. Anyone have any experience with them?
Mark

Post by Mark »

Dear Allynmey

I was a little surprised that you used 5200 ohm over the 6.6K tapping.

Is this the value that was used in Francesca, or do you simply like the sound of this tapping over 6.6K?

I have tried to ask you a few times if you used the stock circuit or moved away from that. I hope you don't mind me asking you this.

It is quite interesting to hear what valves work best in these amps. We all knew that NOS Mullards was the way to fly, but who has that sort of cash?

Please keep use all in the loop.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Mark wrote:Dear Allynmey

I was a little surprised that you used 5200 ohm over the 6.6K tapping.

Is this the value that was used in Francesca, or do you simply like the sound of this tapping over 6.6K?

I have tried to ask you a few times if you used the stock circuit or moved away from that. I hope you don't mind me asking you this.

It is quite interesting to hear what valves work best in these amps. We all knew that NOS Mullards was the way to fly, but who has that sort of cash?

Please keep use all in the loop.
Hi Mark, how is your TW build going? I used 5200 because I am using EL34's. I think this is the right way to go for this application. Dana and Richie who know a lot more than me said that this is the way to go. I probably should hand this one over to Dana for the why's! :)

I used the stock circuit and layout on my Express and tried to get the exact parts. The exception is the Sprague caps. I must have missed your post...sorry. Feel free to ask anything you want!

Allynmey