Source of the Trainwreck sound..

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Allynmey
Site Admin

Source of the Trainwreck sound..

Post by Allynmey »

Does anybody have any thoughts now that we have some working copys of a real Trainwreck express?

I have something to note. I believe much of the attack is due to the Filter caps. There seems to be such stored energy in this amp that the second my hand hits the string, the sound is already coming out of the amp. It was quite shocking considering I'm used to tube rectified 18 watters and the like. I nail open low E until the string is about to break and the amp just spits it out like "it that all you got punk?" I find it quite humbling. 8)

Anyone else have any thought?

Allynmey
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Re: Source of the Trainwreck sound..

Post by LeftyStrat »

This is one thing I can't wait to do when I finish my build is poke around with a data capture meter and oscilloscope. I think you're right about the PS. I'm also interested in what goes on around the second and third stages. Both are pretty cold biased. I think the third stage has a lot to do with the sustain. I also want to know if it is true that distortion starts in the power stage first, the PI, etc.

For me it was first to build one to see what all the hype was, and if it was justified (which from the comments, it is), understand all that is going on that makes it so special.