Meet Derek Ferwerda

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Re: Meet Derek Ferwerda

Post by M Fowler »

Here are some different Air Brakes by various builders such as Komet, Kendrick, Trainwreck and Dr Z.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jana

Post by Jana »

The good sounding Airbrakes have the wire colors calibrated to correspond with the resonant frequency of the various planets. Of course this all depends upon the moon phase which is dominant in that quadrant of the solar system. In addition, the hinklefarb ratio should not be neglected.
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Jana wrote:The good sounding Airbrakes have the wire colors calibrated to correspond with the resonant frequency of the various planets. Of course this all depends upon the moon phase which is dominant in that quadrant of the solar system. In addition, the hinklefarb ratio should not be neglected.
Additionally it is imperative that wire grain structure, winding twists, and the direction of the resistor wind corresponds to the Hemisphere where it is to be used. Ignoring this and using a Northern Hemisphere Specific winding directions in the Southern Hemisphere will thusly impact the tone in a negative Coriolis manner as phases will cancel.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

John_P_WI wrote:
Jana wrote:The good sounding Airbrakes have the wire colors calibrated to correspond with the resonant frequency of the various planets. Of course this all depends upon the moon phase which is dominant in that quadrant of the solar system. In addition, the hinklefarb ratio should not be neglected.
Additionally it is imperative that wire grain structure, winding twists, and the direction of the resistor wind corresponds to the Hemisphere where it is to be used. Ignoring this and using a Northern Hemisphere Specific winding directions in the Southern Hemisphere will thusly impact the tone in a negative Coriolis manner as phases will cancel.
Without skin effect your both pissing up wind. :!:
Jana

Post by Jana »

:)
LarryLarry

Post by LarryLarry »

So I'm playing a fund raising party tonight and on one of the breaks, who do you think came up and talked to me? Derek Ferwerda! Of course I didn't know who he was, but he looked at my amp (I was playing the 6G6 Bassman I built through a 1x12 cabinet - both labled Flamewreck) and he told me he plays through a Trainwreck. Yeah, right, sure you do..

Long story short, we talked on all the breaks, and he told me a lot of really cool stuff about his relationship with K.F., his Rocket (Amanda), guitars etc. and I talked about building my Express, Rocket and the Bassman. What a nice guy, and what great stories he has. There's a lot more I could say, but I need to mentally de-brief!

Like my wife just said - "That's why you do it Larry", and she's so right!
jeff12

Post by jeff12 »

M Fowler wrote:Here are some different Air Brakes by various builders such as Komet, Kendrick, Trainwreck and Dr Z.

Mark
Hey Mark,
Here is a little known one I ran across. Must be an air brake of some sort?
It has a Hamilton Standard sticker on it. :lol:
It is really an idea a friend and I came up with in the late 80's for a speaker to line out that did not kill your tone. Tried resistors but the amp always sounded dead, 2 60 watt light bulbs = an 8 ohm load that interacted with the output transformer more like a speaker (active load), sounded much better. Would handle up to 120 watts, if one bulb blew you still had a load on the amp. :shock: And it looked cool when you played. Box was an old RC airplane propeller storage box I used, crude but it worked. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jana

Post by Jana »

I did the same thing back in the early 80s--used light bulbs as a load. It worked pretty good too.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

LarryLarry wrote:So I'm playing a fund raising party tonight and on one of the breaks, who do you think came up and talked to me? Derek Ferwerda! Of course I didn't know who he was, but he looked at my amp (I was playing the 6G6 Bassman I built through a 1x12 cabinet - both labled Flamewreck) and he told me he plays through a Trainwreck. Yeah, right, sure you do..

Long story short, we talked on all the breaks, and he told me a lot of really cool stuff about his relationship with K.F., his Rocket (Amanda), guitars etc. and I talked about building my Express, Rocket and the Bassman. What a nice guy, and what great stories he has. There's a lot more I could say, but I need to mentally de-brief!

Like my wife just said - "That's why you do it Larry", and she's so right!
Cool story Larry.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Jana and Jeff,

Is that what you call a jack in the box? :)

Looks more like an incubator. :)
jeff12

Post by jeff12 »

M Fowler wrote:Jana and Jeff,

Looks more like an incubator. :)
Can't say it helped much with the chicks, but it did work to record in an apartment with a 100 watt Marshall. :)
redshark

Post by redshark »

This is Derek playing Amanda.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrVK7vxLVUs
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

redshark wrote:This is Derek playing Amanda.....

Very, very nice. I hate it when people play Hendrix note-for-note. Love to see someone run with it. He makes the amp sound good.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

redshark wrote:This is Derek playing Amanda.....

Wow! That is a wonderful version, and the amp is jaw-dropping. Thanks for posting, and for this thread RJ. Truly inspiring.
ampdoc1

OUT TO LUNCH

Post by ampdoc1 »

I've been a member here for years, and built my first Express in 2004. But I have never noticed this thread. WOW! I still haven't read everything, but I did just order the Novella album after hearing part of the tracks.

a'doc1